Why you should plan a parent-free road trip

No more god-awful 80s music in the car

If you’re searching for adventure or having a quarter-life crisis, there’s one cure-all solution: hop in your car, start the ignition, and leave your parents at home (Mom, if you’re reading this, don’t take it personally).

There is something to be said about being behind the wheel on the way to a new destination. Whether with friends or alone, being in charge of directions, music, coffee stops, and keeping yourself entertained along the ride is a daunting and demanding — yet rewarding — task.

You learn how to solve problems using your own intuition

What if I get lost? How am I supposed to make it on my own to Florida? What if I somehow wind up at the Canadian border instead? *Calls dad* “Dad I know you aren’t here right now, but please use your paternal instinct to tell me how to get back on the right road.”

Being in charge of the wheel on a long drive is nerve-wracking. These nerves, however, are borne from the excitement you feel about exploring new places you’ve never been before and becoming completely exposed to the world.

To be honest, road trips aren’t scary at all. They’re exciting. They’re thrilling. They’re impatiently waiting for what’s to come, wired from 6 cups of coffee, and that sense of wanderlust when you can’t figure out where to travel next.

You get to call the shots

When you travel without the guidance of your parents, you get to create your own adventure.

You have to pee? You pull over – no waiting 10 more exits. Want to have your moment under the spotlight when Beyoncé comes on the radio and you belt out the lyrics? Nobody will know that you missed that note except for you.

If something goes awry, it’s up to you to take hold of the situation. Traveling without parents enhances your decision-making skills, builds confidence, and develops independence.

You can find that exciting something you’ve been looking for

You’re driving along swimmingly, and your GPS loses satellite signal and all of a sudden you’re scared shitless, flying 80 miles an hour down some interstate you’ve never been on before – after that moment of initial panic, you learn how to be calm/cool/collected, AKA an adult (at least I think that’s how adulthood works?).

Most importantly, traveling alone is exhilarating and refreshing. It teaches you more about yourself than it does about the roads you are traveling on. It leaves your wallet empty, but your mind filled with unforgettable memories.

Create your Spotify playlist, round up the troops if you are traveling with friends (furry friends count too!), and drive safely.

University of South Carolina national-us