Meet the RU student who sets herself on fire for fun

She’s been doing it since she was 14 years old

Addison Walkowiak, a competitive diver at Rutgers University, came to a point in her life when she decided that setting herself on fire was a great idea.  Addy started toddler gymnastics lessons at just two years old, and by age three she was already doing backflips on her trampoline.

She began diving at age eleven and is now the best springboard diver Rutgers has ever had, holding ⅔ of the records that a diver can hold. Addy has represented Rutgers on a national level for the past three years and is looking to finish her senior year just as strong. But early on in her career, she decided that ten meters up wasn’t exciting enough, because at fourteen years old she began to light herself on fire.

Addy told The Tab Rutgers that she actually started lighting herself on fire as a favor for her friend, and for a little extra summer money. And was initially just filling in until it became such a thrill.  Addy went on explaining that the workers all specialize in one part of the show, but she was willing and able to do everything and could perform all parts of the act.

The Rutgers Scarlet Knights women’s swim team during the Frank Elm Invite at the Sonny Werblin Recreation Center in Piscataway, NJ on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
Ben Solomon/Rutgers Athletics

When she’s not at Rutgers representing the dive squad and studying public health with a minor in psychology, Addy said she spends her summers practicing her acrobatic skills on the trampoline, diving board, and tower—which includes setting herself on fire in front of crowds and diving into a small pool.

Addy describes herself as the typical adrenaline junky.  She loves the thrill, even when that consists of covering herself in gasoline and lighting herself on fire…on purpose.  

Addy Walkowiak, enjoying her acrobatic life.

“In competition diving, it is more of a nervous feeling rather than a scared feeling in fire diving, ” said Addy when asked to compare fire diving shows to competitive diving.

Rutgers University