Things you love if you are from Bayonne

It may not have the best reputation, but I would not want to live in any another town

If you are from New Jersey, you have most likely heard the infamous phrase, ‘if it is from Bayonne leave it alone.’ Well, as a proud Bayonnite, I must say, whoever coined that phrase must have only been here a few times because Bayonne really has so much to offer. We may be small in size, ranking in at 11.2 square miles, but a lot is jam-packed into the little peninsula that I call home.

Good Eats

Let’s talk food because we all know pizza is a food group of its own in New Jersey. In our 11.2 square miles, we have to have about fifty pizzerias – my favorite spots to pick up some heavenly grub however are PizzaMasters over on Broadway for their mouthwatering Grandma Pie and of course Mona Lisa Pizzeria – who really do live up to their title of the best pizzeria in Bayonne – for their Buffalo Chicken Pizza. And if you’re a sweet tooth like me and are looking to get some amazing dessert, you just have to head over to Magic Fountain for ice cream or over to Judicke’s for a personal dozen sprinkled donuts, because everyone knows you can’t just eat one.

One Short Ride to New York City

Bayonne falls right next to New York City, which means that aside from the astounding views of the city skyline on the waterfront, there are incredibly convenient, fast, and cheap methods of public transportation to the Big Apple – such as the bus and light rail or PATH trains. With these super convenient transportation options you can experience so many short days in the city. (Wicked reference)

The Teardrop

Because of our very close proximity to New York City, we were gifted the 9/11 Teardrop Memorial from Russia to immortalize the lives of the innocent people who were taken from our community that tragic day. The goal of this memorial was to place it in a location that would allow you to view where Twin Towers once stood. This memorial creates a very sobering experience and is a place everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime.

Captain Bayonne

Yes, you read it correctly, we have our very own superhero! Well, its actually more like a local that goes running around town in a morph suit, but the name stuck and he has become a prized public figure. May his true identity remain unknown.

Frightmare on 16th Street

If you are a person that lives for all things Halloween, then you will absolutely love Frightmare on 16th Street. This local Bayonne family decorates their home for every holiday, but Halloween is when they really go all out – and they have been for decades! Once they gained a large Halloween crowd, they started having a few police officers patrol the block as people waited in line to take pictures in front of the home. And thus, the Frightmare on 16th Street was born.

Stephen R. Gregg Park

Or as the locals call it ‘Hudson’ or ‘Hudson County Park’. From the soccer fields to the nature reserve walkway, this park is a great place to go when you are looking for gorgeous views or even just a place to relax and clear your mind. My personal favorite spot is right near the pond on the lower level of the park, when I was a kid I thought it was the most out-of-this-world little place in Bayonne!

Cape Liberty Cruise Port

We have our very own cruise port,  including access to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara Club Cruises, and TUI Cruises! So even if the rest of Bayonne’s best locations didn’t seem to interest you, you can always use it to access a luxurious vacation getaway.

Rutgers University