Why do we hate Penn State?

‘A lot of kids from New Jersey go there and have this elitist attitude’

Ever since I became a student here, it was apparent that Rutgers had a strong aversion to Penn State. During my first football game, students began to throw three fingers in the air, in what looked like a traditional third down chant. I followed along as the guitar riffs played, copying the other students moving their hands in the air from left to right only to hear the crowd chanting “FUCK PENN STATE’’ in unison. Perhaps this would have made sense if we had actually been playing Penn State that day. So, I conformed, and Penn State officially became the worst school in the world to me.

Before our “rivals” come to town on Saturday, let’s take a look at a brief history of the rivalry between Rutgers and Penn State.

The Knights hold an all-time record of 2-24 against Penn State

Rutgers won the first game between the two schools in 1918

The schools didn’t meet again until 1950, where Penn State would  go on a 15-game 37-year winning streak. Rutgers finally won again in 1988.

In 1995 Rutgers head coach Doug Graber, got into a shouting match with Penn State’s head coach, Joe Paterno for running up the score in a 59-34 blowout loss.

Fast forward to 2014, former head coach Kyle Flood refused to refer to the Nitanny Lions as Penn State, but instead as “the team from Pennsylvania.” Meanwhile, current Penn State head coach James Franklin didn’t even know we were on their schedule that year.

So why do Rutgers students hate Penn State and their football team so much? Is it the 37-year drought? Was it Paterno’s or Franklin’s “arrogance?”

Here is what Rutgers students and alumni had to say about the rivalry.

What are your thoughts on our rivalry with Penn State?

“Honestly, its just fun to hate them because every team needs a rival and Rutgers doesn’t really have one, especially now that they’re in the Big Ten. Geographically it just seems like the most logical choice so you know, might as well,” said Vinny Caggiano

“I hate Penn State because obviously a lot of kids from New Jersey go there and have this elitist attitude and consider Penn State a better university than Rutgers when they are very similar. In terms of football they act like they have historic and successful program when they don’t and only have two national titles and have been an under-performing mediocre program since then,” Nick Piezzo commented.

“I actually hate them more than any other school based on purely interacting with their fans once I graduated,” said Pete Tverdov, who formerly played defensive tackle at Rutgers from 2005-2008.

“Of course the whole thing with Sandusky, how could you not hate the school after that. It just seems like they’re just a cult sometimes, you know? They’re like brainwashed with the whole Joe Paterno and they just love football too much. I don’t know it just seems like somethings off with the fans,” Caggiano said.

What would a win against PSU on Saturday mean to you?

“A win over them Saturday would legitimize us as a true Big Ten team while embarrassing Penn State by losing to a team that is obviously having a transition year. It also ends any hopes they had of making a playoff appearance even though there is no chance they make it and fans probably only think they have a chance because of their elitist attitude,” Piezzo explained.

“It would be historic [for Rutgers]. It would be a huge upset considering our record this season and the record that they’re having, definitely something we would storm the field for again,” said Rutgers senior Sam York.  “Because Rutgers and Penn State are in such close proximity of each other and so many people decide between these two schools when coming to college, it would  be a great success for our program.”

“It would be great,” said Tverdov. “It would certainly make the season feel a lot better for sure.”

“That would probably be the most defining win the school has had since they beat Louisville back in ’06,” said Caggiano. “Penn State is going to be in the top ten. That would be the most defining win in a long time for this program, that would mean a whole lot.”

What about Penn State students thoughts on the rivalry? Here are a few brief remarks from the enemy.

As a Penn State student, how do you feel about the rivalry between the two schools?

I think it’s stupid because it doesn’t exist,” said Aimee Goldstein

“Rutgers has not beaten PSU since 1988, I don’t see that changing anytime soon,” said Victor Joseph

If Rutgers wins on Saturday, would it have a huge bearing on your life?

“Not huge, but all my friends that go to Rutgers are really nasty and aren’t classy about the whole thing,” said Amy Skoog.
“Not at all,” said Goldstein

Why do you think Rutgers students hate Penn State so much?

“They’re jealous,” said Bridget Cahill.

“They’re upset they chose a school whose football program is 0-7 in the Big Ten this year,” said Joseph

Does your school even see it as a rivalry?

“Not at all,” said Skoog

“Not a chance,” said Joseph

So there you have it. Why does Rutgers hate Penn State and their football program so much? Honestly, I still have no fucking clue. I don’t think anyone knows the exact reason Rutgers hates Penn State and I don’t think anyone cares.

Well, we know Penn State doesn’t.

Rutgers University