Why moving the Cabaret Theatre bus stop to College Hall is a good thing

Rutgers actually deserves a pat on the back for this one

At the start of the Fall 2016 semester, the Cabaret Theatre bus stop was relocated from in front of Jameson Hall on Nichol Avenue, to George Street across from the College Hall bus stop. This change was made in order to allow more ease for fire trucks to get through the road in case of emergency. Although some students have voiced their complaints about this change, Rutgers actually deserves a pat on the back for this one.

The old Cabaret Theatre bus stop was right in front of Jameson Hall. The stop made it easy for students to walk over to the Douglass Student Center or to walk down the hill to get to the Mabel Smith Douglass Library instead of having to make the whole trip around Cook/Douglass just to get off at College Hall.

Getting rid of the Cabaret Theatre bus stop could have caused a lot of anger among students. It is the main hub for those entering Douglass campus, making it a primary stop for students heading to class or to their dorm rooms. Had it been removed, the only bus stop after the Public Safety Building would have been Red Oak Lake. This would have made the walk to the Douglass Student Center and the library much longer and would have definitely become an issue during the colder months when students are forced to trek through the rain and snow. Such a long walk could have especially been unnerving for some students traveling at nighttime who might feel uneasy about walking in the dark.

Rather than eliminating the Cabaret Theatre bus stop altogether, the decision was made to take advantage of the bus stop that already exists on George Street. Although this stop had only been servicing NJ Transit buses, it had been used by the Rutgers bus system in the past. 

With a bus shelter already existing at the stop, it seemed only sensible for the Rutgers bus system to make use of it again, keeping the students’ best interest in mind and accommodating us the best way possible. The old shelter at Jameson Hall was even dismantled before students moved on campus in order to avoid any confusion.

Although the change may have been inconvenient at first, the new Cabaret Theatre bus stop proves to have been a good decision on Rutgers’ part. 

Rutgers University