Things you actually need to pack for Rutgers

Listen up, freshman

When I came to Rutgers I didn’t know everything I would need. After living on and off-camus here’s my list of essentials. I wanted to make this list work for freshman and transfer students seeing as they’re pretty equivalent. I was a transfer student myself, I think this list will resonate with most incoming students!
11149585_10153278033748621_7597939129991475205_n

Elbow, helmet, and knee pads for crossing College Avenue Streets : I got hit by a car in a cross walk just this past semester, trust me you’ll need it to survive.

Tons of socks: No matter how well you keep track of your laundry you will lose at least 10 pairs throughout the year.

Ear plugs: The walls in off-campus houses or any dorm really are thin, you’ll thank me later and avoid several awkward situations.

Baseball caps: For those early morning classes you just can’t bring yourself to put on your make up face and shower no one will be able to tell!

A safe: To save yourself from those crazy subletters who will steal your stuff while you’re on vacation. I had one steal my wireless speaker!

Extra tupperware: I don’t condone stealing, (see above) but I do understand the struggle of not being able to afford another trip to the grocery and being low on meal swipes. Bring them to the dining hall, if you’re low on either you’re saving yourself from starvation. You can also swipe some silverware/bowls or plates. Shhhh don’t tell!

Security camera (for off-campus dwellers): So the football team can’t get away with stealing from houses anymore!

Knob with a lock: The law says it’s illegal to have a lock on your door, but just wait until after the fire marshall comes to look at your house.

Trusty snow boots: Because during a snow storm all campuses (especially Cook) turn into Antarctica.

Pepper spray: For those walks home after the 9pm classes you’ll be happy not being part of the infamous crime alerts.

Fracket/beer jacket: Build up that tolerance! To cover those short skirts and tanks you’ll need an invisible jacket for walking because you will lose it, or take it off somewhere and when you do that you’ll never see it again and trust me you will take an actual jacket off because  those basement parties feel like the Sahara desert.

All the Rutgers Tshirts: Make sure you bring red and black you’ll need them for both football games. Bring long sleeve and short sleeve the winter games are brutal – don’t end up being that girl using the hand driers in the bathroom to keep warm.

Ponytail holders: Tie your key to your wrist, that way you’ll never lose it! I thought I was going to lose my key 1000 times over the course of the year but I was pleasantly surprised when my roommate my junior year taught me this nifty trick!

Rutgers University