What are you doing for Valentine’s Day?

‘Probably going to drink, a lot’

Love it or hate it, it’s right around the corner. Valentine’s Day (aka Singles Awareness Day) is upon us. Whether you have plans with a special someone or plan to wing it, there’s always something to be said about the 14th of February. We took to the streets to ask fellow Scarlet Knights how they planned to spend the holiday and how they felt about it. 

Delaney, Biology

“No plans. I’ll probably study. I’m not a big fan of Valentine’s Day because it’s stupid to overcharge people for stuff they can buy on a regular basis.”

Dominic, Engineering

“Probably just do something lowkey with my girlfriend. Just relax, watch a movie, I got chocolate covered strawberries and other romantic little gifts. I think Valentine’s Day is nice because it’s a day that’s set aside for spending time with your significant other. With school and everything, it’s hard to always set aside that time.”

Kiara, Linguistics and Psychology & Terance, Supply Chain Management

“I’m gonna surprise her by taking her to a theatre play in New Brunswick. After that, we’ll go out to eat on Easton Ave or to Red Lobster. She deserves it 100 per cent.”

Shay, Biology

“I have two dates with two different people, and I might go see Deadpool. Valentine’s Day is cute, but I don’t like watching that many people kiss. One Valentine’s Day I went to the Mütter Museum, which is a medical museum with lots of fetuses in jars, which was pretty cool.”

Stephanie, Psychology and Rachel, Psychology

“All my housemates that are single are buying each other chocolates, like a secret admirer thing.”

Lindsay, Graphic Design & John, Accounting and Finance

“We’re going to get Chinese food and see Deadpool. Every Valentine’s Day we get dinner first, then go to the movies, and since we usually get the Early Bird Special at the diner, there are tons of senior citizen couples that just stare at us. It’s always funny.”

Amy, English and Theatre

“I’m going to see a play for Theatre Appreciation and the night before, I’m going to an Anti-Valentine’s Day Basement Show. There’ll be poetry and music relating to unrequited love and heartbreak, which will be cool. As to how I feel about Valentine’s Day, I’m gonna take a quote from Fight Club and say ‘Valentine’s Day was invented by greeting card companies.'”

Lindsey, English and Cathee, History Education

Cathee: “Probably going to drink. A lot.”

Lindsey: “And I’m working at a restaurant. But I’ll make sure I feel really hot so everyone feels uncomfortable. Also, I’m doing a 5K run for Valentine’s Day- Cupid’s Chase in Buccleuch Park.”

Nyasa, Social Work, and Rayshawn, Social Work

Nyasa: “I usually go to Temple on Sundays, so that’s where I’ll be. But two days before Valentine’s Day, I’m breaking up with my boyfriend of two years. I’ve planned it out because we both decided a long time ago that it wasn’t going anywhere, and I would keep on prolonging it. So I’ve decided that there’s never going to be a good time to break it off, even if it is two days before Valentine’s Day. Also, I feel like companies use Valentine’s Day to take advantage of the holiday to make it a big deal and instill this urgency in people’s hearts that they have to do something, to make it big.”

Rayshawn: “I have no idea what I’m doing for Valentine’s Day, but I’m definitely not breaking up with my girlfriend. Because I don’t have one. But I think Valentine’s Day is cool if you have someone to share it with. I mean, you should celebrate your significant other everyday, but there’s nothing wrong with making Valentine’s Day extra special.”

And there you have it. Regardless of what you do on V-Day, just remember, Tab Love.

Rutgers University