How to survive a single Valentine’s Day

Yesterday, you were single, and you’ll probably be single tomorrow (sorry), it’s nbd

Valentine’s Day: the day of love, where couples can be all mushy and lovey with each other, and not have to hear anyone complain about their affection. But for the majority of singles, Valentine’s Day is the most cringe-worthy day in the whole year.

Here’s a guide on how to avoid feeling lonely on the most romantic day of the year.

Rally up all of your single friends

Some of your friends have that special someone in their lives who will take them out to a fancy dinner and splurge on flowers, gifts and chocolates. But your single friends will be there for you to offer the love that you haven’t been able to find.

Watch all of the romantic comedies Netflix has to offer

Just because you’re single, doesn’t mean that love doesn’t exist. Whether it’s When Harry Met Sally, Pretty Woman, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, or even Valentine’s Day, romantic comedies guarantee eye-candy and endless faith in finding your one true love. Sure, the big romantic gesture and happy ending will make you jealous, but your Richard Gere will climb a fire escape for you one day.

Avoid social media

Yes, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter are all addictive, but for your sake and sanity, avoid them AT ALL COSTS on Valentine’s Day. The only posts will be of your friends and their boyfriends showing of their heartfelt gifts, kissing, and professing their love for each other. To prevent your own downward spiral, block all of your social media apps and all of their sappy posts.

Buy yourself flowers

I know this might sound pathetic, but buy yourself some beautiful blooms. Who says flowers have to come from your boyfriend or romantic partner? Flowers represent femininity and always make you feel beautiful, special, and worthy, regardless of whom or where they come from.

Splurge on something for yourself

Similar to the idea of buying yourself flowers, treat yourself to a spa day or buy yourself that expensive bottle of perfume or those shoes you’ve been eyeing. By doing this, you won’t be focusing on what you don’t have, but rather you’ll be appreciative of what you do have and be too busy to have a pity party.

Remind yourself that Valentine’s Day is just another day

What makes February 14th different from any other day of the year? Yesterday, you were single, and you’ll probably be single tomorrow (sorry). So, why sulk on February 14? Just because you may not have found a significant other, doesn’t mean you don’t have love in your life; your parents, friends, and dog all love you. With this outlook, Valentine’s Day is just another day of the year, and won’t be wasted moping around.

Go to the gym

It’s probably the last thing you want to do on any day, especially on Valentine’s Day, but lace up those sneakers and pump some iron. Go and try that class that pushes you out of your comfort zone. Soon enough, your endorphins will be flowing and you’ll be feeling great. Also, the gym is a great place to meet single guys, typically fit, muscular ones. So by going to the gym on Valentine’s Day, you can potentially meet your soulmate while burning off those calories from that pizza you’ll probably be eating alone later.

Valentine’s Day may be a day for lovers, but remember that you won’t be single forever. And if all else fails, you’ll always have two men you can count on: Ben and Jerry.

Rutgers University