My Fashion Design major isn’t STEM, but it’s still hard AF

‘On behalf of Fashion Design students everywhere — do not underestimate us’

Purdue is known for its nationally ranked Engineering and Business programs. You’ve probably heard of its Vet-Tech program and Nursing program. But Fashion Design, really?

Tucked away in Matthews Hall on Purdue’s Campus you’ll find Fashion Design students working morning to night on projects for their classes and even their own personal projects. Whenever I tell people I’m majoring in Fashion Design, I tend to get a wide array of responses.

“You’re a fashion major? That’s cool, I bet you have a lot of fun.”

If you consider occasional breakdowns, coffee-fueled all-nighters, and projects on top of projects as fun, then yeah I have tons of fun. Just like any other major, Fashion Design involves a lot — I mean a lot — of work. It is fun, don’t get me wrong. I love fashion and being able to create. It’s what I’m passionate about, but I also love sleep.

“Does that mean you make all your clothes?”

Not quite. I mean I could make my own clothes if I wanted to, but… no. I’d rather go shopping. Although, if I find something  that’s way overpriced it is nice to be able to turn around and make a cheaper version of it. And of course I will always make you your own clothes… if you throw money my way.

“You must judge people’s outfits daily.”

Absolutely — kidding. I mean some designers might, but you’re safe with me. On a good day you’ll catch me looking cute, but six days out of the week you can find me in leggings and sneakers. I’m all about wearing what makes you comfortable. Remember, it’s not what you wear, but how your wear it. Oh, and I would be more than willing to help you build a more stylish closet if you want it.

“When you’re a world famous designer don’t forget about me!”

Ok.

“Do you watch Project Runway?”

This is probably the most common question I am asked. No I don’t. Well, okay I watched one season recently. But contrary to popular opinion, it is not what made me want to study Fashion Design. After watching the show, I concluded that my anxiety would go through the roof.* With that being said, I kind of want to try it out. I mean, it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Who knows you may see me on TV in a few years!

*I have much respect to everyone who has ever been on Project Runway. You have no idea how talented they are to be able to create some of those garments in such a short amount of time.

“Why choose Purdue for fashion design?”

Good question. I’ll let you know when I figure it out.

All in all, Purdue is a great school and they have one of the best Fashion Design programs in the state — I may be a little biased. At times it can be frustrating to be a Fashion Design student surround by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians. The feeling that my major is inferior to another gets old. We work just as hard as any other students in any other major. On behalf of Fashion Design students everywhere — do not underestimate us. We are hardworking and probably the most fun people you will meet here at Purdue.

Purdue University