Fantastic fashion designers of Purdue: Kiley Petrie

Kiley specializes in creating delicate occasion dresses inspired by nature

With the annual Purdue Fashion Show right around the corner, it’s time to meet the talented designers working countless hours to bring their original designs to life.

This week I want to introduce you to Kiley Petrie (center), a senior in Apparel Design and Technology.

She’s hard at work on her senior collection with a focus on evening-wear and took the time to talk about her upcoming collection and her journey with fashion design.

What inspired you to get into fashion design?

I knew I wanted to be in the fashion industry, but I wasn’t really sure what specific area or what exactly I wanted to do.

I decided to switch into Apparel Design and over the last several years I have really grown into the designer I want to be – I’ve worked out what I want to do.

What was the inspiration behind your collection?

The inspiration behind my collections mostly comes from delicate occurrences in nature.  Things like spider webs, water droplets, and frost.

I wanted to create beautiful gowns that had a very soft and simple feel to them.

If you could describe your collection in one word, what would it be?

Delicate.

How does your personal style fit into your design aesthetic?

I tend to design things that I could see myself wearing.

I often use a softer color palette and simpler designs, nothing overly bright or loud.

Who do you look to for inspiration for your personal style?

I love Jennifer Lawrence’s style.

She can be glammed up for an award show and look absolutely stunning, but her everyday style is casual and down to earth, which is something I feel I embrace in my own personal style.

Why did you choose Purdue for fashion design?

I’ve always loved Purdue and knew I wanted to go to school here, so for me it was a no brainer when I saw they had an Apparel Design major.

What is one winter trend that you are in love with right now?

Blanket scarves! So bulky, so warm, so versatile, so COMFY!

I use them in some of my colder classes across my lap in true blanket fashion.

What class have you taken here at Purdue that has helped you most in your design career?

Pattern-making has definitely helped me the most in my design career.

You learn the basics of draping and patterning. Without this class I definitely would not be where I am now with my design skills.

What are your goals with fashion design?

Ultimately, I want to create custom wedding gowns for clients.

Until I reach that point, I want to learn and gain as much experience as I can in the industry.

Do you have any advice for other designers?

Never stop seeking knowledge and learning new skills.  Even though I particularly enjoy creating special occasion gowns, I also did an internship designing roller derby clothing.

It was completely out of my comfort zone, but it gave me the chance to do something different and to push my abilities.

To see all of Kylie’s finished looks for her collection, be sure to come out to the Purdue Fashion Show on April 2nd at either 11am or 3pm.

Tickets will be sold in Matthews Hall Room 223 from 8:30am – 4pm.

Purdue University