Kappa Sigma is suing Purdue after ‘unfair’ sanction

‘We didn’t have a fair chance’

Kappa Sigma is suing Purdue, claiming they were unfairly placed on probation until May 2017.

The fraternity denies allegations from February 2015 of providing alcohol to minors and hosting an unregistered event and are taking legal action against the university for not presenting adequate evidence against them.

They are now seeking damages after former Chapter President Adam Hoffard said they didn’t have “a fair chance” at explaining themselves.

Hoffard told The Journal and Courier: “We didn’t have a fair chance at explaining ourselves and we thought (Purdue’s) decision had already been decided before we got a chance to explain.”

The fraternity had the means to prove to the university there was no registered or under-the-table event held the night the incident was reported, February 20, 2015 but was still held accountable regardless.

Kappa Sig requested names of the brothers said to be involved as well as the underaged drinker reported in this incident but the university office declined.

The fraternity didn’t register to host a party that night because many of its members were at sorority functions, Hoffard explained, adding the chapter always registers parties.

This is just one of the many houses in Purdue’s Greek system being subjected to these claims as sororities and fraternities have been going on probation left and right since Brandon Cutler took over as the Director of Fraternity, Sorority and Cooperative Life and the Associate Dean of Students.

Cutler has made no comment on the case.

Purdue University