About 12 attended Monday’s protest against Jamie and sexual violence

Some of the protesting students didn’t even go here

A demonstration Monday at 1 PM outside Hovde Hall to show their discontent over  Purdue’s handled the purported rape threats Jamie Newman made last week.

Over 65 people showed interest on the Facebook Event titled Purdue Stand for Accountability where much conversation about Newman and the administration’s decision took place.

Colten Austerman, Purdue alumnus

Ultimately, only around 12 people actually showed up to the protest.

This was likely impacted by Newman resigning the morning of the event. Before doing so, he had made a post to the event himself.

It appeared the outraged party’s fire was primarily fueled by the fact that Newman was still employed in light of events. Once he quit, the conversation simmered down significantly. However, Newman did anything but go quietly.

Sophia Smith, IUPUI pre-nursing

Among the few attendees was demonstration organizer Garen Bragg, a senior studying Organizational Leadership and Supervision. He began the protest with a speech emphasizing how sexual explicit comments — even when not sincere — are not appropriate and should not be made by Purdue faculty with impunity.

Another speaker was Abby Delph, a student at IUPUI, the daughter of Indiana senator Mike Delph and the girlfriend of Garen. She reminded everyone the protest was not about taking sides between pro-life or pro-choice, which was the argument that Newman interjected his opinion into. She added students should be able to express their political opinions without sexual assault threats of any kind.

Protest attendees Calvin Held, a sophomore at Catholic Central HS (left), and David Held, a Purdue senior History (right), are family of Anna Held, a Purdue alum who works for Students for Life as a coordinator for the region that includes Purdue

Even a professor made an appearance at the event. Professor Koltick, who teaches physics at Purdue, was impressed with the students for standing up for their beliefs and wanted to show his support for them.

Garen Bragg with Professor Koltick

Overall, the protest was sadly anti-climactic. After a few chants and interviews with local network stations, the protest ended an hour early. It suggests that the bulk of the supporters cared more about Newman’s removal from campus than the events stated agenda of confronting violence against women.

Purdue University