Ever wonder what’s inside the Grad College tower?

It’s a bizarre shrine to a lesser-known president

The grad college is arguably the prettiest place in Princeton. Forbesians are well acquainted with the imposing silhouette of the tower against a gorgeous sunset, but few undergrads have actually explored the grad college in any depth (except maybe to eat there on Thursday nights).

Cleveland Tower is 173 feet tall, with 197 steps that wind around and around in a dizzying ascending spiral. It has one of the largest carillons – sets of bells – in the country, and they play loud carols and songs at various times of the year (as Forbesians will also certainly know). The view from the top is stunning:

A view worth 197 steps

Fine Hall looks tiny in comparison

The tower named after Grover Cleveland, a trustee of the university and the 22nd/24th president of the United States. You probably remember very little (if anything) about him from AP US History. But the Grad College has dedicated a lofty-vaulted, cathedral-like space in the tower to Cleveland.

When you’re climbing the steps up the tower, there’s a small side door which leads out onto a balcony, overlooking the following installation:

Looking good, Grover

The hall is empty apart from this bust, the various flower and plant offerings at the base of the plinth, and a large table off to the side.

The effect is undeniably bizarre and it’s worth stopping off to say hi to Cleveland if you’re ever climbing his namesake tower on a Sunday afternoon!

Sacrifices at the altar of our 22nd (and 24th) president

Princeton University