Dorm room recipes to make in your microwave

Scrambled eggs, banana bread, chilaquiles, mac and cheese, and falafels

I love to cook, but there is not much cooking to be done in tiny dorm rooms. There is, however, some surprisingly delicious recipes that can be made quickly and easily in any microwave. At home over spring break, I experimented with these five:

Scrambled eggs in a mug

The easiest of the five, this involves ingredients that can be purchased from the school store or taken from the dining hall. Just eggs, salt, pepper, and milk in a mug. It turned out surprisingly well, and was even better the second time around when I mixed in cheese.

Full recipe here.

Banana bread in a mug

I substituted apple sauce for the oil in this recipe to make it healthier and more convenient then purchasing a container of oil. The taste is pretty good, although I didn’t do the best job of mixing in the flour so it was a little gooey. Tip: the longer you let it sit after it comes out of the microwave, the firmer/more bread like it gets.

Full recipe.

Chilaquiles in a mug

The best of all of the recipes. This may not be the prettiest food, but it was delicious and all of the ingredients can be bought at the school store. A very good quick and easy comfort food.

Full recipe.

Mac and cheese in a mug

Everyone knows how to make Kraft mac and cheese in the microwave, but for a less artificial version, this was awesome. All you need is pasta, water, milk, and some cheese.

Full recipe

Falafels

This recipe relies on falafel mix, which is available in most supermarkets, and all you add is water.

I was making falafel for dinner one night, and decided to put two in the microwave instead of frying them. Extremely easy, and I have to say, pretty good.

After two minutes in the microwave, the falafels are good to go with some hummus or tzatziki.

Princeton University