Meet the history major in Cannon who’s playing pro lacrosse next year

‘Don’t let other things outside of your sport get in the way of what you’re trying to accomplish’

Senior lacrosse captain Ryan Ambler will be going pro next year.

The attackman was selected earlier this week in the Major League Lacrosse (MLL) draft during the fifth round by the New York Lizards.

Ambler hails from Abbington, PA, where he committed to join the Princeton squad during his junior year of high school. His dad and brother both played lacrosse at Drexel. He has started all four years and is a history major concentrating in 20th century American history.

We sat down with Ryan to get a better sense of how to go from Ivy League student to pro athlete.

How did you hear about your selection in the MLL draft?

I was up in Connecticut with four of my good buddies and we were all just sitting around on the couch because we hadn’t seen one of them in a while and we were checking Twitter and seeing updates.

I was going back and forth with one of my coaches and he told me there was some interest and he thought that it would be a good fit for me.

It was a pretty surreal experience because you grow up watching the MLL and watching all these guys play, and to participate in the league, or even be mentioned in the same breath as the MLL is pretty cool.

What made you choose Princeton over other schools?

I fell in love with it as soon as I stepped on campus. I had some other offers, but the moment I drove to campus and got to meet the coaches, I liked it and I really wanted to commit, but the deciding moment was probably my unofficial visit when I got to hang out with the guys on the team and I immediately connected with them.

Some of my best friends to this day were on that visit with me and it was just a really fun place to be. The big thing for me was the people and the culture on campus.

How difficult has it been to balance academics with lacrosse?

It’s been tough but I’ve honestly done better in season than out of season. I knew it was going to be really hard and I worked my tail off to get into school.

I knew it was going to be tough once I got here, but it’s the same kind of thing as lacrosse or sports altogether, they teach you how to get things done.

Why do you think it’s been easier for you to manage academics in season?

I don’t think there are as many distractions. Everything is more regimented. You have practice and you don’t really go out as much and you need to prioritize your academics with lacrosse.

So you get on a schedule where you wake up, you have breakfast, you have class, you have practice, you work, you get a good night’s sleep and it sort of gets into motion as the weeks go on.

How are you feeling about this upcoming season?

I’m excited. We have a really good group of guys and a strong unit in general. We have a ton of playing experience, which is big; we have a lot of guys who have gotten a lot of playing time. Some guys have had to grow up quick because of injuries, especially last year, and I think we’re poised to make a strong run in the Ivies especially.

We’re sort of looked at as underdogs right now, but what I love about the team is that no one really cares about that. Everyone’s been working as hard as they can and they love to play the game. I think it’s going to be a good year.

What do you think the hardest part of being a captain will be?

Making sure I do all the right things so my teammates will follow. But also being open to criticism and being resourceful for anyone who has questions or needs help with anything else.

That’s another strength of our team. Guys aren’t afraid to reach out and they’re not afraid to admit when they need some help.

If you could give one piece of advice to the student-athletes here, what would it be?

Appreciate the moments you’re living in. When you’re playing your sport, whether you’re in season or out of season, appreciate the opportunity you have.

Take advantage of every second of that moment and when you’re playing your sport, be there playing your sport. Don’t let other things outside of your sport get in the way of what you’re trying to accomplish.

Princeton University