How to stay sane during the hardest week at Princeton

We asked Princetonians how they survive the tougher times

Have you already had upwards of five coffees by midday? Do you find yourself frequenting the abyss of Firestone (aka the C-floor where you can actually lock yourself in a bunker-style jail cell)? Is the Wa your beacon of shining light at 3am (because you know they sell those epic five-hour berry shots)? If yes to all of the above, you ought to continue reading…

This week, The Tab teamed up with the USG Mental Health Initiative for Mental Health Week to ask students the ways in which they try and stay sane and seek refuge during these dark times. We also asked students to define the word ‘mindfulness’ in their own terms. Here’s what your fellow Princetonians responded (seriously take note those of you that said ‘Yes’ to all the questions above…..)

Jordan Ingersoll, 2018

“Every night I make sure I get at least 8 hours of sleep so that I am able to work efficiently and stay focused during the day. I also eat a lot of oranges so I can stay healthy and boost my immune system”

Agustin Zavala, 2018

“I go to the gym and eat food with friends. This is a classic turkey and cranberry (fits under late meal under charge). I also like watching action movies”.

Katie Frorer, 2018

“If I wanna wear my pajamas, I’m gonna do that…I think I can afford myself that much”.

Emilio Moreno, 2018

“I have lunch with friends and watch movies at night”

Katherine Shifke, 2018

“I wear happy socks every day during Reading Period. Why? Happy socks, make a happy girl”.

Erin McCabe, 2018

“I like to run. It’s a great way to get off campus and go to the tow-path to clear my head”.

What does ‘mindfulness’ mean to you?

Barry (C-Store)

“Awareness. Awareness of your surroundings, of what you’re doing. Being mindful of the political world, the academic world, the social world, even your own personal world”.

Julia Peiperl, 2017

“Mindfulness means being present. I don’t think it’s a term that I associate with much, but for people who do use it (I guess those who are a little more spiritual than me) it’s a way of being present in the moment”.

Amy Addo, 2018

“Mindfulness means being aware of ourselves, being aware of other people and being aware of how we interact with each other and all the aspects of our world (whether that’s spiritual, physical, mental or emotional”.

Kei Yamaya, 2017

” I think being mindful, is being aware that other people are going through different kinds of shit. When I, myself, am going through a really hard time I think about that person that just walked past me in Late Meal and I realize that he/she is probably going through a really tough time too”.

If your fellow Princetonians haven’t already convinced you enough to TREAT. YO. SELF. this week and to prioritize your mental health and wellness, check out the USG’s Mental Health Initiative website (or just search for pics of puppies and teacup pigs ). Here, you can find a list of upcoming events such as the ‘Me Too Monologues’ on Friday 8th and Saturday 9th of January. Or visit their Facebook page.

Princeton University