What you missed: 28th annual a cappella Wildcats JAM feat. Quipfire!

Your FOMO should be real.

I know what you’re thinking.

You wish that you didn’t have to pump out that pset. You wish that you weren’t stuck in the C-level of Firestone writing that paper (or on Netflix, you choose). You wish that you had vodka instead of water in your bottle.

No matter what you’re wishing for on a Friday night, you should have wished for something spicy, something fierce and something sassy wrapped up in a whole wad of talent.

Those who made it to Taplin auditorium to see the Wildcats JAM had this wish granted. Here’s a quick recap of what happened.

Princeton got you chained up?

The concert came with the tagline “this is a story of boy meets girl. but this is not a love story.”

1. Boy meets girl

Telling the story of love at first sight, the Wildcats started with All About That Bass (Meghan Trainor), Helplessly Hoping (Crosby, Stills & Nash), Just the Two of Us (Grover Washington), Famous (Vertical Horizon) and I See Fire (Ed Sheeran) ft. eXpressions.

Soloist AJ Jones ’17

Soloists Rachel Klebanov ’16 and Marta Cabral ’16

We were then graced with a guest performance from La Vie en Cello, Princeton’s premier cello ensemble. They too played love songs, like Love is an Open Door, that had us tapping our feet and singing along.

2. Not a love story

The story took a turn. ‘Boy meets girl’ became a tale of heartbreak and pain. We heard There is No Arizona (Jamie O’Neil), a mashup of Back to Black (Amy Winehouse) and Why Don’t You Love Me (Beyoncé), Devil’s Backbone (The Civil Wars) and I Try (Macy Gray).

Soloist Alexia Kim ’17

Soloist Helena Ord ’16

Soloist Claire Jones ’18

Soloist Kat Giordano ’18

3. Moving on

The Wildcats were then joined by Old NasSoul for Stand By Me (Ben E. King).

Soloist JW Choo ’17

The theme of moving on was continued with I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor), Lights (Ellie Goulding) and Raise Your Glass (P!nk). In between these, we had another guest performance. Quipfire! lived up to their reputation, turning “Cottage Dance Floor” into a skit celebrating the ability to hold hot cocoa in a custom dance floor inside a forest cottage and somehow making “Simon Wu” into an acronym.

4. our story

Moving away from the love story, the Wildcats began to tell their own story starting with I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (U2) ft. Lavinia Liang ’18 from Songline.

After this, Angel (Sarah McLachlan) was sung as an incredibly moving tribute to Wildcat Audrey Dantzlerward ’16.

The concert ended with Angel Eyes (Ella Fitzgerald), traditionally the first and last song a Wildcat will sing.

Alumni are invited to join in

Of course, Old Nassau was sung because Praise Old Nassau and Hurrah Hurrah Hurrah.

tl;dr?

They were intense.

Soloist Alexia Kim ’17

They were cute.

Make that extra cute.

And so damn talented.

Strong women. Strong voices. A+ performance.

Princeton University