Learn everything you need to know about USG elections in under two minutes

Take a second to make your vote actually mean something

Many of you will know that the winter elections for the next undergraduate student government (USG) started today. Many more of you might have no idea that these are happening.

I don’t blame you – I too ignore any email that has been sent to the masses, and the stacks upon stacks of parasitic posters on walls and lampposts around campus.

But, the student government is a representative of us so we should give a damn about each candidate instead of voting for the person with the prettiest poster.

To help you on this journey into greater campus awareness, here’s a quick and easy guide to the 22 students gunning for the top.

President: The Top Dog Tiger (three candidates)

Aleksandra Czulak ’17

Stats: Current USG Vice President. Whitmanite.
Website: votealeks.com
Platform: “I want USG to COLLABORATE with YOU, through student task forces and focus groups, to set appropriate ACTION items and show RESULTS on impactful policy issues”
Why: “I have been in different roles on USG and it has helped me see the gaps in USG and I know we can work to make USG accountable, more efficient, and collaborative.”

Grant Golub ’17

Stats: Former USG chief elections manager. Whitmanite.
Website: ggolub.wix.com/votegrant
Platform: “I want to focus on three main items: increasing mental health resources on campus and reforming CPS to increase its staff and funding, changing PDF policy so students will be able to rescind them at the end of a semester and restructuring underclassman academic advising to make it a more meaningful relationship and resource for students.”
Why: “I believe USG has not done a good enough job of putting students issues first and working on behalf of the entire student body. Instead of providing vague buzzwords, I have put forward concrete and tangible steps to remedy the significant issues and make our environment and campus climate more friendly to us as students.”

Simon Wu ’17

Stats: Current USG Social Committee Chair. Forbesian.
Website: simonwusays.com
Platform: This campaign is based on using USG to connect you to more people, more resources, and deeper discussions.
Why: “I love the people of Princeton, and I want to give everything I can to change this organization to reflect and support their needs.”

Vice President: The Top Tiger’s right-hand paw man (two candidates)

Jeremy Burton ’18

Stats: Current USG Executive Secretary. Whitmanite.
Website: votejeremyburton.wix.com/usg-vp
Platform: “My platform has two parts, collaboration and transparency. In terms of collaboration, I’d like to increase collaboration between different USG committees, between Senators and U-Councilors and those committees, and between USG itself and all the student groups on campus. In terms of transparency, I believe its necessary for USG to make the USG a resource that students need not just something to document USG events.”
Why: “I’ve worked closely with the current president, vice president, and all of the committee chairs thus I have a very clear understanding of how their different positions work. I’ve already built working relationships with the thirty of so members of the current Senate and thus have experience working with a large group of people and overseeing their work, something that the USG vice president must do.”

Shobhit Kumar ’18

Stats: Current USG U-Councilor. Whitmanite.
Website: kumarforvp.wix.com/votekumar
Platform: “We need ANSWERS. Every year, it seems like USG does the same things and makes little progress. As Vice President, I want to change that. I’ll revive a comprehensive institutional memory database detailing what USG has done in the past. By the end of term, I promise to give you ONE document with answers from administration to questions students care about most and what USG has and will do to address them.”
Why: “When campaigning, I asked hundreds of people what they thought of USG. The vast majority told me they didn’t know much. This is not what USG should be like. We need to talk about the issues that students care about so that they want to pay attention to USG. I’ll make meetings more substantive, focus on issues that matter, and revive institutional memory to better the lives of undergrads at Princeton.”

Treasurer: The Money Bags (one candidate)

Hunter Dong ’17

Stats: Current USG Treasurer. Whitmanite.
Platform: “I’m making it a priority next year to address and improve Lawnparties funding, Dean’s Date, and student group funding.”
Why: “I’ve had extensive experience working as the treasurer of probably too many student groups on campus including currently serving as the USG Treasurer. I’ve also extremely familiar with Princeton’s financial systems (Prime, Concur, SAFE). I’ve enjoyed all of (or most of) my experience with USG this past year and I’d love the opportunity to continue serving Princeton.”

Academics Committee Chair: The brain helping your brain (three candidates)

Patrick Flanigan ’18

Stats: Peer Academic Advisor. Member of McGraw Advisory Council. Forbesian.
Platform: “I’m running for Academics Chair because I think a two week Winter Break is ridiculous and I think students should have a right to avoid having three midterms in one day (no such right currently exists). I also believe that grade deflation still exists at Princeton and I want to do whatever I can to keep our grades in line with our peer institutions, which they currently are not.”
Why: “I refuse to make unrealistic promises, but I will promise to be a relentless advocate for us to the administration and deliver on calendar reform and midterm limits.”

David Landeta ’19

Stats: Wilsonite.
Platform and Why: “As Academic Chair, I will serve the Princeton academic community to ensure that we receive the best academic opportunities regarding courses, examinations, and degree options. In addition, I will pose and launch new academic initiatives to help us discover and pursue our interests as well as further our academic plans whether we are in the A.B or B.S.E track, and undecided.”

Shannon Osaka ’17

Stats: Current member of USG Academics Committee. Butlerite.
Website: shannonosaka.com
Platform: Two things: “I want to change the official calendar rules so that we avoid the prospect of a 2-week winter break and add in other calendar changes that students want, for example, length of Thanksgiving break, spring semester breaks, finals before/after winter break, etc.” and PDF policy changes, such as “to give students the option to “rescind” a PDF at the end of the semester when they see their final grade.”
Why: “I am the only person running for Academics Chair who is actually on the Academics Committee. In my time on the Committee I have advocated for student interests in front of numerous faculty and Dean of the College Jill Dolan. It’s easy to come into an election and say you want change — but I’ve already been working on these projects for the past semester.  I know what needs to be done and how to do it!”

Campus and Community Affairs Committee Chair (one candidate)

Michael Cox ’17

Stats: Current USG CCA Chair. Rocke-fellow.
Why: “This semester was my first time serving on USG Senate as CCA Chair. I really enjoyed my experience planning Restaurant Week and other future projects for the committee. I hope to be able to see these projects accomplished as chair in the Spring Semester.”

Social Committee Chair: Gives life to the party (two candidate)

Lyon Aung ’18

Stats: Current member of USG Social Committee. Rocke-fellow.
Website: lyonaung.squarespace.com
Platform: “My platform is to two-fold. The first is to supplant the currently existing social programming with better metrics, transparency, and consolidation. In a great sea of social programming I want to refocus our efforts into undertaking things with actual influence on the broader student body. Second, is to introduce few but influential programming “series” such as a Concert Series and Speaker Series.”
Why: “I am running because I want to continue the great resurgence the USG Social Committee has undergone through Simon’s time as Chair. My background in leading Soc Comm projects of my own make me a trustworthy candidate for the Social Chair position. I’ve been working with this group for the last 2 years and hope to continue to do so!”

Rachel Park ’18

Stats: Current USG Class of 2018 Senator. Butlerite.
Platform and why: “My experience as a senator has opened my eyes to the many different projects going on and has given me the opportunity to work collaboratively with other senate members. It has also helped me to utilize my organizational, communication, and creative skills which I would like to further extend to the social committee chair. I believe I offer a variety of different perspectives that would be very useful to successfully planning creative, social events that unify the student body.”

University Student Life Committee Chair: Livin’ la vida (less) loca (one candidate)

Jenny Zhang ’18

Stats: Former USG Class of 2018 Treasurer. Wilsonite.
Platform and why: “USLC is a committee that touches upon many aspects of student life such as diversity, LGBTQ, racism, and social atmosphere. I want to become more aware of the issues surrounding my peers and capitalize on opportunities that better the campus community. I hope to continue what we have done and further expand on issues that will create a positive campus environment.”

Class of 2017 Senator (two candidates)

Kishan Bhatt ’17

Stats: Current USG Class of 2017 Senator. Forbesian.
Platform and why: “This term, I’ve worked hard on projects that directly impact you, like petitioning the administration to expand PDFs to intro languages and starting life skills programming (like events on finding housing, personal finance, and auto maintenance) through the Real World Princeton initiative. If reelected, I’ll continue advocating for you, in the hope that our final semesters here at Princeton provide everyone a welcoming environment as well as campus resources (academic, mental health, etc.) that are readily available and accessible to students.”

Cailin Hong ’17

Stats: Current USG Class of 2017 Senator. Wilsonite.
Platform and why: “I was appointed to this position at the start of this semester and had the opportunity to join the Real World Princeton and Low-Income Support projects in which I’m organizing a workshop on credit skills for students and piloting a formalswear rental program. It was an incredible experience and I’m running this semester because I’d like to bring my newfound understanding of USG to three policy areas I care deeply about: expanding upperclassmen eating options, developing an ethnic studies program, and improving racial and socioeconomic diversity and inclusion.”

Class of 2018 Senator (one candidate)

Paul Draper ’18

Stats: Current USG Class of 2018 Senator. Rocke-fellow.
Platform and why: “I have enjoyed serving as your class senator this past year, and, with your support, I would love to continue fighting for positive change within USG. To accomplish this, I intend to make USG an approachable, effective, and meaningful organization by holding our leaders accountable, establishing clear goals, and encouraging students to bring their concerns and ideas forward to the USG Senate.”

Class of 2019 Senator (six candidates)

Ruby Guo ’19

Stats: Current member of USG Campus & Community Affairs Committee and USG Communications Photographer. Wilsonite.
Platform and why: “As Senator, I would listen to your opinions and reflect the interests of our class at Senate meetings and on specific projects throughout the term. One issue I’m particularly interested in is extending late meal hours so we can all have more food.”

Wesley Johnson ’19

Stats: Princeton Fencing. Forbesian.
Platform: Two fold. One, “I am trying to be an advocate for student athletes and other groups across campus that aren’t usually represented in USG”. Two, “I am very passionate about mental health on campus. I will be pushing for more initiatives by USG to address the unhealthy culture that school at Princeton creates but also to help combat the negative stereotypes that go along with mental illness.”
Why: “I am in a unique position to serve both our class as a whole and also serve the underrepresented groups in USG that need a voice and a chance to speak up and enact changes on our campus. I am trying to make a Princeton that is better and more inclusive for everybody. While I can’t sympathize with every situation I genuinely am interested in making our class the most successful and healthy class that has ever graduated.”

Chris Kellogg-Peeler ’19

Stats: Sleep and puppy enthusiast. Forbesian.
Platform: “My platform in short: hardworking and approachable guy seeks extended late meal hours, new testing policy (for less stressful midterms), upgraded Wifi, better schedule (earlier start to school year–>longer winter break and full week for Thanksgiving), and, overall, a stronger Princeton community and improved student experience.”
Why: “I’m excited about this position because 1) I believe that the Senate can make real, positive change to improve the lives of students. As Senator, I think I would be able to help make sure Princeton is as awesome as possible for my friends and classmates. And, 2) I love solving problems and had a lot of fun serving in student government during high school, so this is a continuation of those interests.”

Andrew Ma ’19

Stats: Scientist. Whitmanite.
Platform and why: “I’m running for office because I hope to connect the student body with our school’s decision-making process. The most important thing in student government is that all students can have their voices represented. Two great ideas I’ve already heard are extending Frist late meal hours and promoting campus-wide sustainability efforts. Such a diverse and talented student body can really make a difference in what USG does, and that doesn’t have to be limited to USG members. For example, I hope to promote programs like TigerApps, an existing initiative through which undergrads have built and maintained mobile apps.”

Kai Xin Tai ’19

Stats: International. Whitmanite.
Platform and why: “I believe in embracing diversity, engaging in issues that impact us as a community and empowering you. As new members of the Princeton family, I understand that the transition might have been easier for some than for others and that we all have things we wish were better on campus. I am determined to prioritize your interests and concerns to make you feel more at home here.”

Sarah Varghese ’19

Stats: International. Mathey-ite.
Platform and why: “I’m working on making more information available to you and providing more opportunities for you to voice your concerns. ONE: Platform for questions and concerns. Ask/suggest/discuss anything from toilet paper to the Frist ticketing system to mental health resources and GET ANSWERS FROM THE ADMINISTRATION ASAP. TWO: Reworking the USG website to better reflect the Senate and the Student body, reports on Senate projects. THREE: Add a page for petitions and feedback, so you don’t have to go looking all over the internet for students that support YOUR cause.”

Voting has already begun and will end at noon on Wednesday the 25th of November.

More information on the candidates and the link to vote can be found here. Go go go!

Princeton University