VIDEO: Triangle’s class-bombing ‘cheerleaders’ absolutely crushed it yesterday

Professors were actually thanking them

Unless you skipped all your classes yesterday, you probably noticed the team of cheerleaders taking over just about every major lecture hall on campus. Upon closer examination, you probably also noticed these cheerleaders were male.

For over a decade now, the Triangle club has been promoting its musical comedy shows by barging into lectures dressed as cheerleaders. We would say they’re showing up unexpected, but by now the tradition is so well known that people are marking it on their calendars.

In fact, professors should be thanking Triangle for the stunt – the welcome distraction as empirically proven to boost lecture attendance:

Yesterday, Triangle bombed six different classes and caused a firestorm on Yik Yak. To help inform those who are still dumbfounded by the sight of male female cheerleaders singing and dancing, we caught up with Luke Pfleger – the assistant tour manager and Triangle Cheer Squad Captain – to learn more about the history of this nontraditional tradition.

How long have you guys been doing this?

So I honestly don’t know how long this is going on, but I know it’s more than 12 years. Before 2004, the tradition was to wear the kickline costume from the previous year, but after the kickline costume from 2004 – the show was called “Orange and Black to the Future” – which was cheerleaders, they decided to wear those costumes every year.

Governor Christie stands with the #TriangleCheerSquad – do you?

How are you guys perceived when you show up to class?

Most professors sort of love it. We went into a psych class that had a guest lecturer [yesterday] and after we left he said, “Oh, wow. Okay. That was very impressive.” Also quite a few students yakked about us.

Where’d you guys go this year?

Yesterday we hit Organic Chemistry, Macro, Neuro, COS 217, Psych of Decision Making, and Christian Ethics. Basically we do the big lecture classes.

Any crazy reactions?

Apparently three years ago – before I was here – they went to HUM and the lecturer shouted “No, no! None of this Bacchanalian bullshit.” I wish I could have seen that.

Also there was a moment today where a Chinese tour was walking by, and one of us started speaking to them in Mandarin and invited all of them to the show while they took pictures of/with us.

That’s amazing

It’s sort of unreal that they continually let us into these big lectures to jump around and promote our show without getting mad at us. But I’m not complaining.

Can you tell us about the upcoming show?

Yeah, so the show is called Tropic Blunder, Friday 13th, Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th. It’s about a cursed island. Some bits include:

-12 girls playing the ukulele to express how “different” each of them are
-An evil limbo dance
-An affair between a mermaid and a pirate
-An Under-The-Sea-esque sea creature number
-11 men dressed as tropical drinks
-And a lot of puns

Be sure to catch Triangle’s ‘Tropic Blunder’ any night this weekend, and thanks to Frank Wojciechowski for the photo!

Triangle members gather to worship the MOAT (Mother Of All Triangles), which is permenantly stationed in Frist

Princeton University