The ’09 grad accused of killing his father claims he’s a victim of wealth discrimination

The 30-year-old allegedly shot his dad for cutting his allowance by $200

Thomas Gilbert Jr, the 2009 Princeton graduate accused of fatally shooting his millionaire father, is claiming he has been unable to obtain a fair trial due to prejudice against his family’s affluence.

Gilbert Jr was indicted for second-degree murder after allegedly shooting Thomas Gilbert Sr, a hedge fund manager and class of ’66 Princeton grad, at his Manhattan home with a .40 Glock in January.

Gilbert Sr was found with a gunshot wound to the head and a gun resting beneath his hand, in what the New York Times called a “clumsily staged suicide.”

Gilbert Jr, who faces 25 years to life in prison, has pleaded not guilty.

His defense attorney Alex Spiro claims the man has a track record of mental illness, and a pair of court-appointed psychiatrists deemed him mentally unfit for trial in September.

That contention has come under scrutiny by independent attorney Henry Asbill — a class of 1969 Princeton grad — who notes the prosecution will likely infer some level of competency from the fact that Gilbert Jr appeared to have staged a suicide.

Prosecutors responded by hiring a third doctor, who evaluated Gilbert Jr and said: “Although there are indications in the record that Mr Gilbert has a psychiatric history, I saw absolutely no symptom of mental disorder that would impact on his ability to proceed to trial.”

Gilbert Sr was a founding managing partner at the hedge fund Wainscott Capital

Gilbert Jr’s latest defense claim is that he has been treated unfairly due to his family’s wealth.

He said: “Over the years from what I’ve seen, the press especially, seems to prey on wealthy, high-profile families…A lot of high-profile Manhattan families tend to get more harsh, outlandish judgment.”

Gilbert Jr is no stranger to an opulent lifestyle. The alleged murder occurred after Gilbert Sr reportedly cut his 30-year-old son’s monthly allowance of $3,000 to $2,800.

The two had been arguing about the money, and Gilbert Jr asked his mother to go out and buy him a sandwich. When she returned, her husband was dead.

The trial continues.

Princeton University