COS major invents Late Meal sandwich and immediately becomes a legend

This dude made it into the Frist Hall of Fame and he’s #blessed

Jack Hudson is a renaissance man.

The senior computer science major is an All-America épée for the fencing team, which won a national championship his freshman year and earned the runner-up spot when he was a sophomore.

Jack even started his own company, SignSchool—a comprehensive online course designed to help family and friends of the hearing impaired learn sign language more quickly. The inspiration for the company came from Jack’s experience with a deaf hall-mate freshman year—together with Jack’s roommate the two founded the group.

Before he was a Frist culinary artist, he was a master of the épée

Jack’s latest contribution to the Princeton community may not be as impressive as racking up NCAA titles or as life-changing as assisting the disabled, but it’s still pretty awesome: he invented a sandwich that he convinced the Frist chefs to sell on the Late Meal menu. Hudson dubbed the dish “The Princeton Growler,” and it was served at Late Dinner this week.

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinions on the sandwich itself—I probably wouldn’t be courageous enough to try it, and you’ll see what I mean—but give credit where credit is due. The man earned his spot in the Late Meal hall of fame with the first ever student-inspired special. Whether it’s worth a prox swipe or not…we’ll leave that up to you. Here are the ingredients:

-Chicken salad

-Cheddar cheese

-Mandarin oranges

-Cucumbers

-All toasted on flatbread

Jack’s Facebook post of his accomplishment, with a very respectable Like count

For those of you hoping to follow in Jack’s footsteps—securing a place on the Frist menu doesn’t just happen over night. Jack said he created the sandwich way back during his sophomore year, and only now has he seen the fruits of his labor.

He said: “I had just returned from summer break, having Whole Foods sandwiches filled with chicken salad with grapes. So when I arrived at the Late Meal sandwich bar, I naturally wanted to unite chicken salad with fruit. The deli did not offer grapes, however the salad bar stocked mandarin oranges, and that is how the masterpiece of a sandwich was born.”

No word yet on when your next chance to catch The Growler at Late Meal will be, but we’ll keep you posted. Hats off to Jack for breaking into the highly exclusive culinary circles at one of the most prestigious dining galleries in the Ivy League. Is there any bigger power play than dictating what assortment of food students put into their bodies? We think not. In the words of the man himself, “There can’t be a higher accomplishment to be made at Princeton than this.”

Princeton University