5 facts about the reality of studying architecture

For all of you who think architecture is cool

I’m going to be a senior this upcoming fall at Pitt and it’s a miracle I’m graduating on time. I switched from the business school to arts and sciences to study architecture my sophomore year. Boy, it was the hardest transition I’ve made in my college career.

That being said, here are the realities of pursuing an architecture major:

It’s not for everyone

Studying architecture is no walk in the park. It’s a huge time commitment. Say goodbye to those endless nights of partying. Prepare yourself for all-nighters in the studio and becoming best friends with your classmates. You will spend so much time with them that they will know all of your secrets.

It’s hard work

Yeah, higher education is challenging but architecture requires physical hours of studying, observing, analyzing, designing, modeling, and producing. In order to get a perfect product, one must dedicate as much time as they can to their work, which could mean many sleepless nights. Studies show that architecture is one of the majors that students study for the most.

You may not always be satisfied with your work

You are given deadlines. The key is to perfect your work as much as possible in the time given and to remember to keep moving forward. You won’t always succeed, but you will always learn from your mistakes and get better.

Time management is key

All majors require time management but there’s always those subjects you can get away with procrastinating. Whether you like it or not, procrastination will fuck you over when studying architecture, unless you are a superhuman, which I am not. Staying on task is crucial due to the myriad amount of deadlines and short time periods given to complete your work.

You create a great network and develop awesome relationships

The truth is you’re going to be spending the majority of your college career in the design studio. You will meet cool people and get to know them really well since you’ll be spending so much time with them in class. Also, your professors are great people to know in the long run for future recommendations, internships, and careers.

Studying architecture is a fun and rewarding roller coaster that you ride for years. The results of hard work and dedication are uplifting and make you work even harder.

Interested in more of my work?

Follow me on Instagram @manisha.vanecka and don’t forget to follow @thetabpitt!

University of Pittsburgh