‘I’m sorry you still have to protest this shit’: Attending the Women’s March as a male

We’re proud to march with you

In Pittsburgh and across the country, women’s marches were held a day after Donald Trump became the 45th president of the United States.

Many came with signs and some even brought their kids and dogs.

Where I attended, in Pittsburgh, the crowd met in front of the courthouse. There were easily 10,000 people there, but that is a low estimate. While the crowd was mostly women, there was a good mix of guys who turned up.

A day later, I went to a smaller women’s march that looped around the Pitt campus. It was similar to the larger protest from the day before.

The messages were the same, but there were more guys there than I was expecting. They seemed just as passionate about the cause as the women there, even though it didn’t really affect them as much.

The biggest difference was that some pro-life people made their presence known. A video of that can be found here.

After seeing all the signs and hearing the chants, it really made me realize what it says about this country that Trump is our president. The guy who’s admitted to grabbing women inappropriately and not caring about it now has a say in whether Planned Parenthood gets funding.

You don’t really think about how a politician’s policies affect people until you’re in a crowd of thousands marching against them. It was great seeing so many guys like me supporting this event, and others like it that were happening. It’s 2017, and, as a sign said, we’re still protesting this shit.

Why?

A link to highlights from the march can be found here:

University of Pittsburgh