Here’s why everyone needs to attend the Pinstripe Bowl

In case it isn’t obvious

The Pitt Panthers football team enjoyed one of their most exciting seasons in recent memory. After wins over 2 of the final Top 5 teams in the country (Clemson and that one team from Happy Valley), Pitt finished 23rd in this week’s College Football Playoff rankings.  The 8-4 Panthers were rewarded for their performance with a trip to the New Era Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium in New York. Isn’t that great?

What’s that? You think that sounds boring? No it’s ok, I understand. Attending this game would just take too much time out of everyone’s very busy schedule of sleeping and day-drinking over winter break. I mean, it’s not like there’s any real reason to go support your school in this bowl game…

You read the headline (hopefully). You know where I’m going with this. There are some damn good reasons to go to the Pinstripe Bowl and watch the Panthers beat Northwestern, and they don’t have anything to do with getting wasted in the stands.

It’s in New York

It’s in New York, New York. You know, that wonderful hub of urban culture and delicious pizza? You’re telling me there isn’t enough to do in New York fucking City? There’s music and food and bright lights everywhere. Am I missing something here? I can’t wrap my mind around someone being given an excuse to visit this place and then that someone saying “No thanks, I think I’ll stay in Cranberry,” or wherever you’re staying after the fall term ends.

Pitt is not the same team this year

Yes we’re all aware of Pitt’s tendency to blow games, and especially bowl games (remember that one against Houston a few years ago? Christ!). But this year is different. This year, the Panther’s proved they have the talent and mettle to beat the best teams in the nation. In their two biggest games of the season, they beat Penn State and Clemson by playing hard right until the last whistle. Pitt teams haven’t played that way in a long time, so maybe it’d be better to appreciate what you have now instead of mocking what you’ve had in the past.

It could be James Conner’s final game for the Panthers

We won’t know until after the bowl game whether or not 4th year running back James Conner will return for a final season at Pitt. Due to his absence during all but one half of last season because of an MCL injury and a cancer diagnosis (Yes, a cancer diagnosis. He beat cancer folks, and I’m just going to keep bringing that up until it stops being relevant, which is never), and because he had not redshirted before, the NCAA automatically gave him a redshirt.

If you follow Pitt football even remotely, you know all about Conner’s incredible performance and perseverance during his comeback season. He’s been an inspiration to everyone who roots for the Panthers, and the rest of the sports universe as well. This could be the last college game for one of the most important athletes in Pittsburgh sports history.

Not to impress but to inspire..

A photo posted by James Conner ️️ (@conner24_) on Nov 13, 2016 at 7:36pm PST

You don’t have the time or effort to get up off your ass and watch this man play for your entertainment? He came back from Hodgkin’s Lymphoma while rehabbing a serious knee injury and getting in shape to play the game he loves for the school he attends, and you can’t be bothered to see him live out his dream? Maybe you think you’re just the coolest for claiming that going to see your football team is lame. Hey, I’m not here to argue with you. Have fun watching the game on TV, downing a handle of Vlad while the real fans wave to you. Seriously, no judgement here.

University of Pittsburgh