It’s not worth being jealous over someone’s major

We’ve all felt bitter before

Ok let’s get something straight right off the bat. No matter what classes you’re taking or what your major is, as long as you’re doing what you want, you’re a successful college student. For just a second, stop posting memes about your GPA and bank account and think about what you’re learning- what you’re training yourself to be.

Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk about making fun of each other’s majors. It happens all the time, and it shouldn’t have to.

First, an example of what I’m talking about here. Let’s say you’re an English or Theater major. Kiss your chances to complain about anything academic goodbye. Now, give a warm welcome to everyone assuming you’ll breeze through college and then spend the rest of your days jobless and so overrun by debt that even your grandchildren won’t have any hope of a quality existence.

You’re studying for a statistics exam you need to pass in order to be a Sociology major? Are you serious? That’s barely even a class!

Switch over to science or math and you’re no better off. People assume you’re not a creative individual- that you’re soulless and calculating. You’re viewed as a more valuable commodity by the job market, and non-STEM students resent that quite a bit.

If you’ve ever thought less of someone because of their major, their skill set, or their overall academic interests, consider this.

So your engineer friend isn’t enthralled by Medieval European History. So what? Maybe you know someone who doesn’t quite feel comfortable talking about quantum mechanics with you. Are you really about to hold the fact that they have other interests against them? If you’re struggling to earn a Biology degree, does it help to feel constantly bitter about a Humanities student having it easier than you?

Make no mistake, non-STEM majors can still let themselves be consumed by resentment.  Hell, I’ve done it. I’ve gotten sick of hearing how much harder it is to be in science and math, how every waking moment is a flood of online assignments and Einstein’s coffee.

In turn, I felt like my work wasn’t worth the same as that of Pitt’s future engineers and chemists. On the other hand, I’ve had plenty of STEM friends resent my workload and my ability to get through an exam cycle without ever resorting to the fetal position.

Neither of these attitudes is productive. I was never motivated to finish an essay on Marxist thought by wishing I was viewed with the same respect as a Pre-Med student. I seriously doubt complaining about the lack of worry lines on the face of a History major has ever given you a better grade on an Organic Chemistry assignment.

Griping about a class is not inherently bad. That’s just part of college, and we all do it to some extent. There are plenty of factors that go into your performance in a class, many of which could be out of your control: a professor who isn’t the right fit for your learning style, confusing assignment instructions, and your own mental health are completely viable reasons for a class being difficult for you, and you should be able to rant to your heart’s content.

However, how you think and speak of other majors and the career paths that other students are taking is entirely within your control. You aren’t just venting to let off steam in that situation. You’re directly insulting another student.

Humanities students have definitely heard how easy it is for them, how their classes aren’t “real.” STEM students have certainly had to deal with the bitterness of those Humanities majors.

You don’t need to add fuel to that fire. It isn’t going to help you or your fellow students. Regardless of what we’re taking or what we’re interested in, understanding the impact our view of other students has on our own performance is something we’ll all have to learn to become successful in college and beyond.

University of Pittsburgh