Meet the Panther Pitt leaders: Connecting the athletics department and student section

H2P

Ever wondered who sent out that hilarious tweet to the opposing team student section, or who picked your friend to compete for prizes during the pre-game festivities at Heinz Field?

Meet the leaders of our wonderful and rowdy football student section, the Panther Pitt.

Can you tell me what your role is as a Panther Pitt leader?

CARA- “The Panther Pitt leaders are basically the connection between the athletics department and the student section. We help with pre-game activities, student giveaways, and getting out game day information.”

BRIAN- “As the President, my role differs from the VP’s in that I am the main contact with the athletic department, mainly their marketing department, and other organizations like SGB (Student Government Board) and SORC (Student Organization Research Center).

“All the other VPs have positions like internal operations, game day management, outreach, or business manager but we don’t stick to those. We just break up the work evenly and all help each other out.”

How has the Panther Pitt has changed under your leadership?

AARON- “We have made some pretty big improvements since I got involved two years ago. We increased the number of buses and pick up locations to make the trip back to campus smoother, implemented pre-game activities to keep those students who get there early entertained, and we were able to provide a drink and snack for the ride home.

“Also, the 4th quarter hype video was implemented and we started promoting staying the entire game much more, which has helped drastically.”

BRIAN- I think we’ve grown our visibility a lot. We’ve increased our following on social media by interacting with our followers more, lovingly called #PittTwitter, and we have also increased our responsibilities.

“Most importantly, we’ve started to change the culture. Less people leave after ‘Sweet Caroline’ now and they care about the team more. That’s a combination of us and the team doing well, but it makes me very proud and hopefully soon no one wants to leave a game until the clock hits zero.”

CHANTELLE- “I’m not big on football stats, more the atmosphere of game day so yeah. Just putting more emphasis on that for the average (non-football loving) student.”

If you had to pick one game or moment that perfectly sums up your experience in the Panther Pitt, what would it be?

AARON- “I’m going to go with the homecoming game last year against Virginia when the 4th quarter video was played for the first time and all the students stayed and Pitt got a safety on the next play. That was a great moment.”

CARA- “I think my whole Pitt experience will be defined by the win against Penn State.”

JACK- “The Pitt-Penn State game this season. Specifically the game clinching interception. Just seeing all of the students staying all four quarters and everyone going crazy, hugging and cheering and water bottles being splashed everywhere, it was surreal.”

MATT- “The opening game this year against Villanova and James Conner stepping onto the field was the most incredible moment I had in the Panther Pitt. James is a remarkable human being who does so much for others and he fought through his battle with cancer and emerged victorious.”

What’s the best part of being a PP leader?

BRIAN- “Getting to be at the forefront of all these amazing athletic events. Leading so many people to support our panthers is just so amazing. And you get to meet so many cool people and see the behind the scenes of game day and the athletic department. See how everything works and see how you are having a positive effect on the program.”

CARA- “Seeing students showing up to support the team and having a great time. Then we know we’ve done our job.”

MATT- “Helping to make Heinz Field a more enjoyable atmosphere for everyone. Helping to engage the students makes them louder and crazier, which makes the overall atmosphere a better experience. This will help to turn casual Pitt fans into loyal ones.”

Why did you decide to apply for the position? 

BRIAN- “I’m a lifelong Panther fan who loves this university and all of its teams. I’ve been going to games since I was 5 since I’m a third generation panther and I thought there was no better way to contribute than leading the best student section around and making every game a great atmosphere.”

CHANTELLE- “I wanted football games to be enjoyable for all students – not just people who really love football. And I wanted to directly make a change in that department.”

JACK- “I saw it as a chance to help make a difference and be involved with Pitt football. I want to help make the Panther Pitt one of the best student sections in the country.”

For students looking to apply for next season, what advice can you give?

AARON- “The process is very easy! There’s an application and an interview, but just show us your love for Pitt football and come with some ideas to improve game day and you will be highly considered. We should have 3-4 openings this upcoming season.”

CHANTELLE- “My biggest piece of advice is to be creative when it comes to how we can be better next season.”

MATT-  “Anyone can say that they would like to help increase attendance, but how do you plan on achieving this?”

Have you always been a Pitt fan?

CARA- “Nope. I’m the first in my family to go to Pitt, but I dove head first into it. All traditions start somewhere!”

JACK- “My dad was a student at Pitt in the early 80’s during the Marino years and he raised me right, as a Panther fan.”

What’s your favorite sign or outfit you’ve seen at a game?

AARON- “My favorite signs have been ones commemorating James Conner or ‘Here’s your attendance trophy’ for the Penn State game. Also, I’ve seen some crazy outfits but the guys who painted ‘Conner Strong’ for the opening game was pretty awesome.”

BRIAN- “Last Halloween some people came as the entire power rangers squad. That’s dedication to have everyone plan a group outfit and a good one at that. Best sign was probably the Saint Narduzzi Photoshop sign. There’s just been so many.”

What is your favorite part of the game?

CARA- “The opening videos when the team comes out.”

JACK- “Definitely the pregame hype video. Hearing all the students pound the seats to Thunderstruck is insane and I always get chills seeing the Panthers rip apart the flag of that week’s opponent.”

MATT- “Whenever there is a critical play and everyone is going nuts. We’ve caused false starts, bad snaps, and safeties, and timeouts to be taken.”

Who actually runs your social media platforms?

AARON- “All of us contribute to social media. You can always identify our president, Brian Miller’s, tweets when there is a typo.”

CHANTELLE- “I usually run Snapchat during game day though. Instagram is all Matt.”

MATT- “I get on our snapchat every once in a while and if there’s any posts from the Pete then it was definitely me.”

Any closing remarks coming towards the end of the season?

AARON- “Since I’ll be back next year, I encourage everyone to apply and become a leader. It’s a great time and you get to make a difference. Also, to the students who aren’t leaders, we are all one group – feel free to message us with any ideas you have at anytime and we will always try to implement them. Hail to Pitt!”

BRIAN- “I think we’ve had a great season and we are far from over. Plenty of games and good things planned so be on the lookout from us. And as my final year ends, I’m very proud of what I and my fellow Panther Pitt leaders have accomplished and only wish I could keep doing it. But I imagine I’ll still be around somehow.”

CARA- “I’ll be graduating this spring but keep coming to the games and getting loud for our team! H2P!”

CHANTELLE-  “I’ve gotten to experience so much that I wouldn’t have before had I not gotten to do this. Also about applications for next year, you can still apply even if you’re a freshmen currently!”

JACK- “I want to thank everyone for their support this season and encourage everyone to go to these few remaining games! Pitt is on track for another great season under Coach Narduzzi and hopefully a trip to the ACC Conference Championship is in the cards! Make sure to get to the games early, cheer your head off, stay all four quarters.”

MATT- I am going to be graduating this semester and I am definitely going to miss my times in the Panther Pitt. From my freshmen year in beating Notre Dame, watching Aaron Donald and Tyler Boyd shine, to beating PSU and dominating the state. I hope that our efforts to engage the students continues so that we will become one of the top student sections in the nation.”

You have a few more chances to cheer on your University of Pittsburgh Panthers as they finish out their regular season within the next coming months. November 19th brings Duke to town, and on November 26th Syracuse is making the trip to Heinz Field to battle the Panthers. Make sure to come out and cheer them on so we can see some victory lights!

Check out the Panther Pitt on Social Media:

Snapchat- thepantherpitt

Twitter

Instagram

Facebook

As always, HAIL TO PITT!!

University of Pittsburgh