The grand reopening of Qdoba has arrived

After unforeseen idiocy shut it down for two months, the Qdoba on Forbes Ave is back in business

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It was the era of less tacos, it was the era of dipshits wedged between buildings. But that time has passed. Qdoba opened its door back up after two monts of repairs and renovations.

If you haven’t heard the story yet, you either don’t go to Pitt or you haven’t left you dorm room since August. In the early hours of the morning, August 23rd, Pitt student Grant Birdsong brought a girl he was trying to impress onto the roof of Qdoba and the neighboring Bruegger’s.

Birdsong tried to be even more impressive by jumping from one roof to the other, but he couldn’t pull it off. He ended up falling three stories down the slim gap between the buildings, breaking his ankle.

Between the time it took first responders to locate him and work him out of there, he had been in there for 4 hours. What does this have to do with Qdoba? In order to get him out, first responders had to bust a massive whole in the wall of the fast food joint and pull him out that way.

Some students didn’t think much about the closure, seeing that there is a Chipotle a block down the street, but for others it was almost as unfortunate as a certain death from last week’s episode of The Walking Dead. Qdoba was a place where you could take a break from the food-like stuff they serve down in Market Central, a place to stress eat after an exam, among other things.

For one student, it was a place her grandfather, Bindy, took her once a month while she was growing up. Bindy passed a way three years ago, and when she got here for her first semester, it was closed. Instead of being upset, she thought about how hard her grandfaher would be laughing if he heard their go-to hangout was closed because some kid got stuck behind the wall trying to impress a girl.

During the repairs, Qdoba did a little bit of renovation, giving the walls a new coat of paint and minor remodeling. Business has been booming this week, partially due to the fact that it has become Pitt’s newest historical landmark. The restaurant looks great and, in the name of good humor and good judgement, they added a mural where the hole once was, and you can guess what it looks like.

If you want some good Mexican fast food, Qdoba is once again a pretty good place to go. But if you’re trying to impress a special other, the holes between buildings aren’t your best bet.

Photo courtesy of Dan Lapidus

University of Pittsburgh