Louis C.K. had everybody in tears at The Pete this weekend

‘We love you Louis’ ‘SHUT UP’

After three opening acts designed to pump up the crowd, Louis C.K. nonchalantly steps onto the stage. To the surprise of many, he’s ditched his signature black t-shirt and jeans in favor of a suit and tie.

The crowd cheers enthusiastically, with one particular fan pledging his love for the comedian louder than the rest, to which Louis responds with a quick, “Shut up”—the first display of C.K.’s deadpan humor of the night.

C.K. made no attempt whatsoever to shy away from controversial topics; in fact, that was the bulk of the show. The content ranged from taking advantage of white privilege, to abortion, to his life as a single dad, and finally, ending on a high: having to stare in horror at his father’s ugly penis in public restrooms as a child.

The best joke of the night revolved around the story of Achilles (you know, the Greek guy whose mom dipped him in the river Styx to make him invincible, but somehow forgot to dip his heel too, therefore making him just an egomaniacal asshole). The joke was about C.K.’s elementary aged child, essentially asking how Achilles’ mom was such a dumbass that she didn’t make her kid invincible, but led him to believe he was, so that he went around the world making enemies and eventually getting fatally shot in his heel.

The only disappointment I had during the night was that C.K. pretty much ignored the election. No matter your political stance, we can all agree this election has been one great big, year-long joke, so it would have been absolutely hysterical to see a pro cover that material.

While his jokes could be taken as mildly offensive, they definitely were not nearly as horrible as they have been in the past. I am not one for racist or sexist jokes, but C.K. merely dabbled in these areas, rather than using them for the entirety of the show. With that being said, it’s absolutely necessary to keep an open mind during C.K.’s shows, or literally everything he says will piss you off. If you keep your mind open, you’ll find yourself laughing until your eyes water and your stomach hurts.

University of Pittsburgh