I spent a week with eyelash extensions and I’m never going back

They might be expensive, but my lashes are fire right now

I have wanted eyelash extensions for years. I first saw them on YouTube and was fascinated by their natural yet dramatic look. One day I was scrolling down Pittsburgh’s Groupon page when I came across an amazing deal. I saw a Groupon for eyelash extensions, and a two week fill, for $41. I was amazed, and with my $10 off coupon, the set was only $30. That might sound like a lot to some people, but in comparison to what eyelash extensions actually cost, that is a massive sale.

For those of you who don’t know what eyelash extensions are, they are individual eyelashes that are glued (with medical grade glue) on to your natural lashes. The whole process takes about an hour and a half for a full set of lashes and (depending where you go) costs about 125-150 dollars.That price sounds crazy, but the extensions are beautiful and worth the price. The amount of effort put in to applying the lashes perfectly and how long they last for, is completely worth it. Now, if you never had the extensions in your life, you wouldn’t die without getting them. However, I will say that they are pretty amazing once you have them.

Before Lash Extensions

After Lash Extensions

They really do transform the natural look of your eyes. Personally, I have long eyelashes, but they aren’t thick and there aren’t that many of them. With the lashes on, I feel like I wake up beautiful and flirty. On my eyes, I have a C curls and most of them are 12 length. I had my esthetician do more of a tapered look, to go along with the cat-eye liner I usually wear. The lashes are completely beautiful and so glamorous.

There were ultimately a lot more pros than cons: they look incredible, they make my morning routine go faster, I don’t need to wear fake eyelashes, they irritate my eyes less than mascara does, and I don’t have to use and an eyelash curler. Plus I feel very on trend and Instagram relevant.

However, without a Groupon, they are pricey. They also aren’t permanent, so they have to be “filled” or redone, and you can’t use mascara on them. Lastly, they are high maintenance – you have to be careful with them, and they need to be brushed every once in a while.

The good out weigh the bad on this one. I honestly do love them, and if you have the money to get yourself a set – I would encourage you to try them out. If you live in Pittsburgh, I recommend going to Virgo Esthetics; Jennifer Weight did a wonderful job on my lashes and she books up quick, so set your appointment on her page. Her “Lash Naps” are relaxing and she is an experienced lash artist.

University of Pittsburgh