Why Fair Lawn has the best of everything

You don’t know what you got til it’s gone

Growing up in Fair Lawn, I couldn’t wait to get out. For once, there was going to be a place to hang out that wasn’t the CVS parking lot, I wasn’t going to be late for school because I got stuck behind the train, and I wouldn’t have to smell weed in the halls after 6th period lunch. Not to mention, I wouldn’t be stuck in the daily parking wars that ensued among seniors every morning, and juniors who thought it was OK to drive to school and take all the spots.

Once I left, I realized there were a few things I really missed. Here is a list of all the things you will miss when you leave Fair Lawn.

Bagels
There is not single town anywhere in the world that has better bagels, and it’s evident by the line out the door at every bagel shop in town every Sunday. Be grateful that you have such delicious bagels right around the corner, because once you get sick of bad dorm food, you’re going to long to have them in your college town.

Garden State Plaza Mall
It was so easy to drive just 10 minutes to the biggest mall in New Jersey and have 200 stores at your fingertips. Once you leave, you have to come to terms with the fact that most malls aren’t as big as ours, and you can’t get all your favorite stores so close to home anymore.

I’m really lucky to be in a city where there is good shopping, but for those of you who’s campus will be in the middle of nowhere, online shopping will be your new best friend.

CVS
No, the CVS parking lot is still not a cool place to hang out. But when you’re hoarding food for your party later, your club meeting, or that really random item you decided you had to get- it’s nice to drive the five minutes anytime of day. I still haven’t come to terms with the fact that there isn’t a dollar store on Forbes Ave and that 24 hour CVS’s are not a universal thing. Good luck trying to buy more soap, batteries, or a charger at 2 AM.

The Promenade
I used to think it was just an overrated strip mall infested with eighth grade girls who deemed it as the new cool place to hang out other than CVS. You can get Starbucks anywhere, but you will never find a pizza place as good as Anthony’s. Unless you’re going to college in California, chances are you won’t see another Habit Burger restaurant either. Why the hell hasn’t the rest of the country figured out what good food is? Your campus might have some food gems, but it’s not going to be as good as the Promenade’s.

Just remember, if you’re on line for 20 minutes or waiting an hour to get a table, and it’s not at Anthony’s or Habit-it’s not worth it.

I know this article mostly covers food, but keep in mind how lucky you are to have a train station five minutes from your house. People travel from all over the world to come to New York City, and you can go to Radburn Station and be in the middle of Herald Square in an hour, every weekend. I love Pittsburgh with all my heart, but there are some parts of Fair Lawn that are definitely missed.

University of Pittsburgh