What we should expect from Season 6 of American Horror Story

What does everything mean

Starting off this season as a mystery was a good choice for AHS, because I don’t think the premise of a reality show would have gone over well in previews. Although I’m not fond of the “reenactment” style of the show, I am intrigued by it. Unlike other shows that do the same, like “A Haunting” and even “I Didn’t Know I was Pregnant”, American Horror Story isn’t using the same b-roll every two minutes and terrible wigs.

The show’s show seems to be done in such a way that the storytelling is seamless, and it’s more than just a demonstration of the story. What I am wondering is how all of the seasons are going to come together in this, which is what we’ve been promised. Perhaps because of the style we’ll see old characters show up to tell their tales.

So let’s break this all down.

The show within the show is called “My Roanoke Haunting” which is where the viral leak of the word “Croatian” is coming in. That being said, none of the other seasons have taken place near Roanoke, so where are the previous characters going to come into play? As I pondered this, I thought that maybe this title is a per-episode theme. Perhaps the next episode will be in California about the murder house, but that is just a theory.

There is definitely a Blair Witch Project theme going along with mystery of Roanoke. The twig dolls and woodsy feel of the first episode alludes to the legendary 90’s film. On the same note, this season is way creepier, and honestly scarier than any of the other seasons. Because of the modern and serious scare factor, it has the nostalgic feeling of season one.

We are most likely going to see all of our favorite actors of the series, in this season. In the first episode we already see Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe, and a sneak peak of Wes Bentley right at the end of the show. Also, Lady Gaga is going to be in this season- no doubt about it. Her new single “Perfect Illusion” is played during one of the season’s promos, and it’s already been confirmed.

Personally, I wasn’t huge on the addition of Gaga last season, but let’s pray her role is less soap opera dramatic and more horrifying.

They are pulling all of the stops out for this season. It is reminiscent of how incredible season one was, but I think Ryan Murphy is going to surprise us all and make this season more like a horror movie and less like a creepy television show. Just in the first episode Murphy comes as this from all sides- jump scares, hardcore creepiness, and disturbing scenes and thrilling scenes.

I can’t wait for to see this unfold. You can watch American Horror Story on Wednesdays at 10pm EST on FX.

University of Pittsburgh