Millennials recall their memories of 9/11

We lived through a piece of history that they’re now teaching in textbooks

It has been 15 years since America’s worst nightmare became a reality.  There were multiple terrorist attacks on the people of the United States on September 11, 2001. When traumatic events happen to us, we typically remember what was occurring that day, some may remember what they were wearing or what song was playing in the background.  Never did I think that I would remember the events of my day that Tuesday when terrorist decided to crash planes into the Twin Towers.

It is an event that did not impact me directly, but thousands of lives were lost while millions of hearts were impacted and broken- mine included. With the anniversary approaching, I began wondering if I was the only millennial to have this clear memory of the tragic event so I asked some of my friends and fellow Pitt students if they could recall theirs.

What I found was that I was not the only one to have a special place in their heart and mind for this tragic event.

Erica Spaeth, 21

“I was in preschool. I remember the entire school went into the basement for a few hours, and then we were sent home without being told what was really going on.  I remember being scared, but since I had no idea what was happening, I just passed it off as nothing until I finally understood.”

Kelly Donaldson, 21

“I was in third grade I think, and I remember being on lockdown.  I remember my dad telling me this part, but he saw what happened on TV and raced to my school, which was right up the hill from him and had to fight with the school to get me and my sister out.”

Shane Perko, 20

“I remember going home from school and my parents were super freaked out, and they made my aunts come over just to ensure everyone was safe.  I remember watching the news and wondering why they kept showing a plane crashing into a building.”

Ashley Grego, 21

“My mom picked me up early from school, and my aunt who is like 12 years older than me came over to my house.  We wanted to go jump on the trampoline, but my mom would not let us because of the crash in Shanksville. It’s only about a half hour from my house.”

Emilie Lucas, 20

“I was in Kindergarten and we were coming in from recess, and they made an announcement that there was a terrorist attack and that our parents were coming to pick us up.  I remember my mom signing me out.  My mom sat in the living room all day with the TV on and would not let me go outside.  I don’t remember much from that day, but I remember being scared and confused.”

Carrie Wilson, 35

“I was getting ready to go to work. I was watching Matt Lauer and Katie Couric, and everyone thought it was an accident at first. It was a few days before my 21st birthday and every bar had coverage on 24/7, so we spent more time glued to the TV than drinking. It was the first time I remember an event being covered all day for weeks. Also, it was the first time I saw true patriotism, and I don’t think I have seen that publicly displayed as strong since.”

Mike Capolupo, 21

“I was in first grade, and I didn’t know what some of the commotion was at my Catholic grade school.  I remember being excited because we were going to be able to use calculators that day.  All of a sudden my mom shows up to my classroom, and I could see that she was in a panicked state.

She took me out of school and drove me to my grandma’s (she lived a mile or so away from the school). I spent the rest of the day with her.  My mom and Nonni would not tell me what was going on.  Later that day when we got home, I just remember seeing everything on the news, and my mom kept saying ‘some bad people did some bad things’. I was seven years old then.”

Kayla Carr, 20

“I remember my mom coming to pick my older brother and I up from school, and I was super excited to get out of school early to go home for what I thought was no reason at all.  I remember getting home and my mom spending a lot of time making phone calls.

I have a cousin who was supposed to be in the WTC for a meeting but was stuck in traffic and an aunt in Washington, D.C. who works at the Pentagon, but she was ill and did not go into work that day. I remember it being a stressful, chaotic, and confusing day.  I don’t think I really understood what was going on or why, but I remember hugging my teddy bear a little tighter because I felt so scared and sad.”

Gino Szegedy, 21

“I was in first or second grade when it happened. I was in school at the time.  Early in the day an announcement came on asking the teachers to turn on the news.  I didn’t really understand what the news was talking about or what was going on, but I did see the Towers and the smoke.  I could tell my teacher was worried.

Pretty soon she told us we would all be going home for the day and that our parents were coming to pick us up.  My mom was clearly in distress when she came to get me. When I asked what was going on, she told me she was not too sure yet.  We went to get ice cream then home.  It didn’t seem like much to me that day since I was so young, but looking back- I’ll never forget that day.  I will never forget what happened and how truly blessed my family and I were that day to avoid such a tragedy.  My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to those affected.”

Did you know? ? #education #backtoschool #history #neverforget #payATTN: #worthyourATTN:

A video posted by ATTN: (@attndotcom) on Sep 9, 2016 at 2:12pm PDT

It’s crazy to believe that it has already been 15 years since this heartbreaking terrorist attack on America. It is important to remember this day and keep those affected in our thoughts, hearts, and prayers.

University of Pittsburgh