Why Pitt fans are the best in the country

Because it’s always lit when we hail to Pitt

As I’m sure most of us have experienced during their collegiate career here at the University of Pittsburgh, Saturday’s are for football. Whether you’re going for a great game, an awesome tailgate, or the overall experience, you won’t be disappointed. Here are some reasons why Pitt has the greatest fanbase in college football.

We show our PITT Pride all day, every day.

Whether you’re taking a stroll down Forbes for Chipotle, or walking to class in the beautiful Cathedral of Learning, chances are the majority of people you will come across have some type of Pitt gear on. Everyone is insanely proud of their school, and especially on game days, we aren’t afraid to show it.

We are not only Pittsburghers. 

We go anywhere wearing a Pitt hat, even the beach. Nine times out of 10 a stranger will walk by and yell, “Hey, hail to Pitt!” In that moment you are instantly friends, even though you are hundreds, maybe thousands of miles away from your beloved university.

Don’t even get me started on Sweet Caroline. If that song is playing anywhere in public, you’ll probably hear another Pitt fan yelling along “let’s go Pitt” with you. Go ahead, shout with pride.

We are a student-friendly fan base.

I know. We don’t have an on-campus football stadium. If you complain about having to bus to the games, have you ever truly stopped to think how cool it is that we are at Heinz Field, the stadium where the Pittsburgh Steelers play? We share a stadium with an NFL team. Not many other NCAA football teams can say that.

The gravel lot is something everyone must experience once during their time here at Pitt. Although it’s a hike away from the stadium- it’s worth it. So many Pitt fans, so much hailing, and lots of tailgating. Just remember- there will be a game you don’t want to miss, so you want to make it inside on time. Trust me, you do NOT want to miss your opportunity in the Panther Pitt.

Also, we bus you to and from the game on student shuttles. Not only that, but there are free snacks and drinks on the way home. Let’s be honest, there really isn’t anything better than free stuff, especially after a Pitt win.

We are a family-friendly fan base.

I’ve been going to Pitt games ever since I was six years old. If you walk around a Pitt game, you’ll find people of all ages. Grandparents take their young grandkids, and high school students go with their friends. My family has never hesitated to take my grandparents to a game, just because the atmosphere is so wonderful. Everyone is so friendly, and it’s truly a great way to spend your day.

Plus, you have the opportunity to not only travel to Pitt’s away games, but you can go to a Bowl Game, as well. Last year, Pitt got to take a trip to the Naval Academy for the Military Bowl. If (I really should say when) the Panthers make another Bowl Game this year, you should definitely do a family road trip for the game.

We accept change.

As shown with how we welcomed new head football coach Pat Narduzzi two years ago with open arms, we Pitt fans may be skeptical at first, but we truly accept change. Another example would be a few years ago when we joined the ACC,and left the Big East. The conference change proved to be challenging, but we are truly adapting. New basketball coach Kevin Stallings has started his first year as well, and we couldn’t be happier to have him.

‘We Are’ NOT Penn State.

What would football be without rivalries? A good thing about being a Pitt fan is that we don’t have to call Happy Valley our home. Whether your choice of rivalry is Penn State, Notre Dame (ok not really a rivalry, but a lot of people really dislike ND), or West Virginia- you’re not alone. Notre Dame is arguably the busiest game of the season, and I’m sure PSU and WVU will be in the coming years.

Good luck to the Panthers on Saturday, September 3rd, as they battle Villanova for the first game of the year. Take the trip to Heinz Field to cheer them on. Trust me, you won’t regret it.

Hail to Pitt!

University of Pittsburgh