The reality of being a server in college

Would you like fries with that shake?

I recently started working at a family restaurant this summer as a waitress, and I never truly knew what people meant when they would say that the food business is rough until I saw everything first hand for myself.  If you are a server, then I’m sure you can totally relate to some of these things

A table with multiple children is the best birth control

I dread when the hostess comes to the back to tell me that I was sat with three kids menus.  Not that I hate kids or anything but seeing children throw temper tantrums and be obnoxious during their meal is extremely unappealing for me. Also, children are typically the pickiest which means lots of substitutions.  Not to mention having to pick up the kids crayons off the floors once they leave.

“It’s a little chilly in here, could you ask your manager to turn down the AC?”

I promise you that no server who is constantly running back and forth from table to table will ever ask the manager to make it warmer in the restaurant.  You either freeze or get a hot and cranky server- your choice.

Interruptions can totally throw you off

People who interrupt you are annoying under any circumstances, but do you know how truly frustrating it is when I can’t even get out my greeting to you to tell you my name without you interrupting me with your drink orders.  I was getting there- chill. I promise I will get your drinks.

Complaining about prices won’t get you anywhere

When a customer complains about prices, do they honestly think that we have any control over that? No, we just work here, so we’ll do our little fake and awkward laugh and tell you we are sorry even though we’re really not.

Picking up a table outside of your section absolutely sucks

This is one of the worst things to possibly happen- at least for myself. Especially when the table is on the opposite side of the restaurant.

Getting hit on by customers is never welcomed

If you work in a restaurant like I do where you have many regulars and most are over the age of 55, then you will hear some pretty creepy comments that make your skin crawl.  I’ve gotten “Hey baby lookin’ good today” and “you serve fries with that shake?” countless times. Trust me, I want to throw up in my mouth every time I do. Please don’t hit on your servers.

Working with a hangover is seriously torture

Weekend shifts and hangovers are both the worst to begin with but combine the two, and I think it’s the closest to death I’ve ever come.  Customers are extra needy on those days, you have nowhere to lay down or even sit for five minutes, you’re super dehydrated, smelly food makes you sick, and you sweat alcohol for your whole shift.  At least you’re surrounded by lots of greasy bacon.  It’s always a good idea but bad decision.

I wouldn’t trade waitressing for any other job during my college years. I’ve made some amazing friends and customers, and I have also managed to master my fake laugh and smile which will undoubtedly help me out in the professional world.

Remember to tip your waitress well!

University of Pittsburgh