What you missed at Fan Fest

Heinz Field opened it’s gates to help Pitt fans get pumped up for this season

I went into Fan Fest on Thursday night not knowing what to expect. I went with my father, a huge Pitt football fan, who had been to Fan Fest before. I was excited to experience it with him, since he is the reason I am such a huge sports fan.

We arrived at 5 PM, and the gates were to open at 5:30 PM. The line stretched down the street, as people held helmets and pictures for the players to sign. Children were hanging on their parents’ legs or sitting on the concrete completely covered in Pitt gear. It truly was a great start to the evening, seeing everyone smiling and excited to meet the players and coaches in attendance.
Once the gates opened at 5:30, we were ushered into the typical security measures one must endure when entering Heinz Field like emptying your pockets, having your bags checked, and walking through the metal detectors. Once inside the free event, a table stood right in front selling the $3 #ConnerStrong wristbands, proceeds to benefitĀ The Mario Lemieux Foundation.
Entertainment was a must, since the autographs didn’t start until 6:15 PM. The cheerleaders greeted you as you entered, and the band also walked throughout the Great Hall and stopped to play a few songs. There was a DJ centered in the middle of the action, and the music was blaring throughout the entire area. Roc was running around greeting fans as they stood in line to meet their favorite players. There was a face painting station, where children eagerly stood and waited to get a panther paw painted on their cheek. Blow-up games were also featured at this family-friendly event, such as football and a Pitt script bouncy house.

Check below for the home football game schedule, and a few members of the Pitt Band standing by.
A few cheerleaders were also stationed near the raffle table, where a mini helmet was being raffled off. Attendees had to fill out a small piece of paper with basic information in order to win a chance at the gold mini script helmet. Schedules and posters were also available to take home, as well as schedules for other fall sports. Flyers for the various youth programs Pitt will be hosting were also on the table.
At 6:15, the signings began. I stood in line for Head Coach Pat Narduzzi immediately as I entered the stadium, because I was so eager to meet him. The other lines were grouped by position. Next to Coach, the Seniors had their own table.

I walked through this line and chatted with some of the players. All of them were extremely nice and grateful for our attendance. I received a, “how are you today?” from each and every player. Some were nice enough to include a, “thanks so much for coming out,” or even, “we really appreciate your support today.” A few jokes were thrown in, such as when I asked how they were in return, a quick “really, really hot,” and a laugh followed. I was warm in my tank top, I cannot imagine how hot they were in their new jerseys… which are beautiful.
The other tables were scattered throughout the stadium. The Quarterbacks, Tight Ends, and Offensive Lineman were at one table together, as were the Defensive Lineman and Linebackers. The Wide Receivers and Defensive Backs were also at a table near the Steelers Walk of Fame, which was also open for fans to explore the history and memorabilia of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Possibly the longest line was for the Running Backs, Fullbacks, and Special Teams table, featuring Pitt’s Running Back James Conner. After facing a knee injury in the first game last season that forced him to miss the remainder of it and then overcoming cancer- this young man is absolutely someone to look forward to meeting. He has the world on his shoulders, and he is surely an inspiration. I told him how happy we were to have him back next season, and he smiled, shook my hand and said, “thank you very much, thank you.” His line stretched almost the entire length of the Great Hall at one point, and I snuck in right before the autograph session was about to close.

Flanked by two members of the Landmark Staff, he took as much time as he could with each fan, smiling, signing and chatting for a little. Although he had to move us through rather quickly to keep the line moving, it felt genuine when he thanked us for our kind remarks regarding his health and our excitement to watch him play in a week.
Wow, did I have a great time. Meeting the players was truly an experience and seeing how grateful they all were for us being there truly made me realize that they really do rely on us fans to support them. The players had no problem chatting with each person, and they always listened to what you had to say and made it such a wonderful atmosphere.

I’ll surely be in attendance next year, and I hope you will support these young men as well. The entire event flew seamlessly. If you were hungry, they had concessions available. If you wanted to splurge on some Pitt gear, they had stores open to buy that new hat or hoodie you’ve been wanting since you first saw it.

Overall, I’d absolutely say anyone that wanted to go this year but didn’t missed out. I encourage you to go next year, even if you’re just curious.
See you September 3rd for the home opener versus Villanova! Hail to Pitt!

University of Pittsburgh