What it’s really like being a hardcore Penguins fan

It’s not a just game to Pittsburghers

Whether you are a Penguins fan or not, every hockey fan has one dream for their team. They anticipate the road to this dream every off season, watch all 82 regular season games leading up to this dream, and then patiently wait to see if their team can keep the dream alive.

This dream is to watch their team raise the Stanley Cup, to watch the gloves hit the ice, and to watch their team surround the goalie because they have just made history. However, there is another important aspect to this dream. The passionate display of emotion that comes from hockey fans also keeps the dream alive. The feeling of being a part of something bigger than yourself, or something worth striving for, has a huge impact on the way we see the game.

If you are a hardcore Penguins fan, you will most likely fit under the following categories. If not, you should either learn more about this organization and hockey in general, or jump off the bandwagon.

Offseason Preparation

Once the Stanley Cup Finals are over, and the winning team has raised the cup, the offseason stretch begins. If the Penguins win the Stanley Cup, the excitement can last up until next season. However, if the Penguins do not make it to the Stanley Cup Final, hardcore fans will analyze playoff games leading up to our defeat. This usually determines what we will have to work on for next season, in order to become an all-round playoff team. Also, fans will use the offseason to scout out potential trade acquisitions, or determine whether some of the Penguins’ current talent needs traded.

How Fans Watch The Game

You can easily tell whether someone is a hardcore Penguins fan or not, based on how they watch the games. A hardcore Penguins fan will try their hardest not to miss a game. Whether it is regular season or playoff season, every game is important.

Of course a lot of us have busy lives, and watching every game is difficult, but even a hardcore Penguins fan has the NHL and Pittsburgh Penguins app on their phone. Also, a hardcore fan’s reactions during a game, speak volumes. You will usually see a hardcore Penguins fan gripping the couch cushions during overtime, yelling at the referees through the television, celebrating a goal loudly, and praying for a win.

Hockey IQ 

It is easy for anyone to just watch a hockey game and see that when the puck goes in the net, it is a goal. However, there is a lot more behind getting the puck in the net. If you do not have a decent hockey IQ, watching a game can be difficult.

A hardcore fan is going to understand the plays on the ice, know the calls being made, and know the positions of each player. They will also know who each player is, what their role on the team is, and what line they play on. Terminology is also an important when it comes to hockey. If you do not know basic hockey terms, or even some advanced terms, it is hard to follow what the commentators are pointing out.

Bandwagon Fans

I think every hardcore fan can agree that bandwagon fans are the worst. I am all for supporting your hometown team, but if you have never watched a hockey game, do not act like an expert. Hardcore fans truly love the game, and are passionate about hockey.

Bandwagon fans turn the sport into a joke. For someone who has watched almost every game and has been a fan since the beginning of time, it is kind of insulting. Take in a game and learn a little about the sport. Do not shame the rest of the hockey community.

Go pens!

University of Pittsburgh