Why it’s awesome to be single in Pittsburgh

I don’t even know where to start

Pittsburgh is a great city for the young and reckless along with the married with children. Not only is there so much to do and something to satisfy your craving of every hobby thinkable, but it also has a lot of other pros to people living the single life. Pittsburgh will make you totally okay with sitting back and watching your friends get the diamond rings and hubbies.

Southside

Heading to East Carson Street on any day of the week will make you have the most fun being single than you thought possible. Southside can be your boyfriend. East Carson is made up of about 20 blocks of bars and art galleries with a few hidden gems spread out within the area. It’s impossible to not be amused in Southside, and it supplies you with the best girls/boys nights out that sometimes end like the movie, The Hangover.

You are surrounded by other colleges

There are so many universities spread throughout the city from Pitt, Point Park, Chatham, Duquesne, Robert Morris, Carlow, and Carnegie Mellon that make it easy to meet other young people that are just trying to do their thing. It makes it easy to form friendships and go on a few dates with people outside of your college while still remaining single af.

There are so many distractions

If you say you’re bored while in Pittsburgh then you must have not looked out a window for a long time. Not only do we have some amazing museums like, Carnegie Museum of History, Carnegie Museum of Art, The Andy Warhol Museum, Heinz History Museum, and The Mattress Factory, but we also have some unique activity spots for you to go. The endless fun at The Science Center will blow your mind along with the amazing arcades like Games N’ At (it’s $5 for unlimited gaming and BYOB). We also have water parks, trampoline parks, and Kennywood, so get out and experience some of these thrills.

It’s easy to become a workaholic

Pittsburgh is transforming into the place to be for young professionals with companies like Google, Uber, Sony, PNC, and others flourishing this city into the perfect hub to get your career started. Find a job or an internship in the city and give it your all without the distraction of a significant other.

It’s not weird to go out alone

Doing things on your own like going out to dinner, to the bar, museum, hiking one of the many trails, attending a concert at the many venues, etc is so much fun alone here. Pittsburghers are super friendly and the block parties and constant events, like Pickleburgh, are easy to attend solo, and no one will look at you with the “poor girl, I bet she has so many cats” stare.

You can utilize dating apps to their fullest potential

Pittsburgh is a city full of young professionals and college student that love dating apps and still use Tinder on the regular. The city is small enough and there are enough well lit places to easily meet up with a ton of potentials without going too far or being unsafe.

Living is super affordable

Being single in the city is a blast. Pittsburgh isn’t a big city that swallows you up and spits you out, but you still have the opportunities of one that would. You’re expected to be broke in your early twenties, but you don’t have to suffer the major struggle because rent and existing is very manageable here. No need for a significant other to depend on financially. That’s why Pittsburgh is “The Most Livable City” year after year.

It is way safer than most cities

Safety is something that young women and men have to think about when wandering through a city at night. Precautions should always be taken to avoid potentially harmful situations, but it is different in Pittsburgh. Walking alone to your car or back to your apartment comes with a lot less risk here than in many other cities you encounter. Still keep the pepper spray on your keychain and know how to throw a punch when needed, but you will probably never have to utilize those things in Pittsburgh.

Free fun is easy to find

It’s a fact that you go out more when you’re single and that can get expensive. Thankfully, free fun is everywhere in this city, and it is easy to find. Go to one of our many overlooks, sit on the dock, go to the point, attend open mic nights, sing at karaoke, go tailgating, bring cards or a board game to one of our many parks and have a quick picnic, go play tennis, throw the football or frisbee at Schenley, and even grab a few beers from your fridge and go sit across from Stage AE and listen to the live shows from a park bench. No need to break the bank for a day out with your friends. This is all free, and so are the many events you’ll find around the city that include block parties, gallery openings, and many other free events. Go grab a Pittsburgh City Paper and be single af.

Now, go out and have some fun being single in The Steel City.

University of Pittsburgh