Here is why you should check out Gallant’s debut album, Ology

This is some real r&b sound, finally

At the young age of 24, Gallant has put out another string of wonderful r&b to grace our ears. Gallant is an young kid from Columbia, Maryland that the whole world is about to hear about.

Gallant has put out his first debut studio album on April 6, 2016, thanks to the large amount of attention he got from his single “Weight In Gold.” His album, Ology, is a perfect balance of everything you want out of a R&B artist and more.

After the short eerie intro on the album, the song “Talking To Myself” begins playing, and it is the perfect song to begin this album journey. You get to experience his vocal range along with catchy lyrics right off the bat which kept me listening.

The songs “Shotgun,” “Bourbon,” and “Bone + Tissue” are next on the album and each have an early Usher vibe. Each bit of every song is so well thought out. It is understandable why he received so much acclaim for this album, and why it was embraced worldwide.

Before his hit “Weight In Gold,” the song “Oh, Universe” graces you with a vintage sound for a minute. Like I said, this album has it all.

“Episode” really shows how he can hit those high notes flawlessly and is something I can see people dancing to at a hipster basement party in button up shirts. When speaking about the song he said, “You made it out to be way bigger than it was, I made it out to be way smaller than it was, I talked to myself about it, I think it’s ok now.”

The rest of the album has potential to be a hit, every single way it goes. There is a lot of experimentation with sound and so much effort put into the lyrics that give people serious relatable material.

There is even a collaboration on Ology with Jhene Aiko called “Skipping Stones” that is an absolute winner with simple talent being displayed and their voices compliment each other perfectly with the soft jazz background music.

For someone so young, this artist has a lot of depth behind everything. He spoke of this song and explained it by saying, “A lot of people live afraid of dying alone but it’s probably more terrifying if you’ve come to the end of your life and had never really given the possibility of dying alone any serious thought.” Wow.

This album is absolutely winner, and he ends on a serious note with “Chandra,” which he explained as a little uncomfortable.

I didn’t want this album to ever end, but when you look at the album as a whole you can’t help but commend him for how balanced and beautiful the whole album is as a true work of art.

Check out this album on Spotify and iTunes and go to his website, here!

University of Pittsburgh