Why you should do The Color Run in Pittsburgh this weekend

Even if you hate running

Last September I did my first sponsored run ever. I’m 5’5″ and 120lbs, and the assumption would be based on my slim fit that I would actually be fit. However, I really am not. I don’t have a gym membership to Planet Fitness, own real workout clothes, or know how to do a proper pushup. Yet, after my best friend invited me to go to The Color Run in Pittsburgh, I said yes.

I get it. You hate running and might not be physically in shape. You might need to walk to entire run and take multiple breaks during it. You might be extremely hesitant to signup because of this, but I’m telling you that you should The Color Run and why.

It’s a short run.

Compared to Pittsburgh’s Marathon which is roughly 26 miles, The Color Run is only a little over 3 miles, a 5k, and for the most part is on level or lightly sloped roads and trails in Pittsburgh’s North Side.

You get to see Pittsburgh from a different angle.

If you’re coming from out of town the most time you’ve ever spent in Pittsburgh was probably either walking downtown or in Oakland. Although the best view in the city is notably from Mount Washington, during The Color Run runners also get a pretty good view along the riverbed perfect for a famous-worthy  photograph or silly chalk-faced selfie.
You get a great deal for the price.

For about $50 you get a Color Run t-shirt, headband, medal with ribbon, a color chalk packet, tattoos, and the chance to win more after the race!

There is a concert after.

Although The Color Run is really about the run, there is a free concert after which is just as exciting. Called the “Finish Festival,” all runners are welcomed to stay for the concert which includes more color being thrown, free music, dancing, and other free prizes to be won.

The line  for The Color Run starts at 8:00 a.m. this Saturday the 16th, but there is still time to go! Although Classic+ Color Runner and Deluxe Color Runner passes are already sold out you can still participate in the run as a regular Classic Color Runner. Remember, it doesn’t matter how fast you run, it’s about having fun!

University of Pittsburgh