Your unofficial official guide to living off campus

Which neighborhood will yinz end up in?

By Sophomore and Junior years, many Pitt students decide to opt out of living in dorms and choose instead to venture off campus. Awaiting outside the security booths, Pittsburgh has many different neighborhoods for their picking.

Here is your unofficial official guide to some of the most popular neighborhoods for college students in the ‘Burgh.

South/Central Oakland

South and Central Oakland are the University of Pittsburgh’s backyard. While the majority of Pitt’s campus is situated nicely in Central Oakland I’ve grouped these two neighborhoods together because of their similarities and proximities.

This area is by far the most popular choice for off campus housing among Pitt students. South Oakland, endearingly called South-O, offers many amenities for your off campus needs, while Central Oakland offers all the necessary amenities.  Odds are after Freshman year, you have become very familiar with both areas.

For $650 per person a month plus utilities you can get a four bedroom, two bath that has been completely renovated on Coltart Ave, just seconds from the hustle and bustle of Forbes Avenue.

Safety: 5 (each category scored out of 10)

This category only scored a 5 out of 10 in my books. Why? Well, being a primarily college neighborhood crime happens. But rest assured as the Pitt police and City of Pittsburgh police are both within reach when the need exists.

Walkability/Transportation: 10

The best part about being in this area is the walkability and proximity to everything.  With campus right at your back door, there really isn’t a need to rely on public transportation, everything is a walk away. But if you choose to venture outside, most major Port Authority Routes run directly through Oakland.

Bars/Parties: 9 

OK, I lied. The best part could possibly be the proximity to bars and parties. You have all the major campus hang-outs, like Peter’s Pub and Hemingway’s, or a Frat house (if you’re into that) just steps away from your apartment. The weekend in Oakland is never dull.

Shopping: 6

If you’re looking for shopping, South Oakland might not be the most ideal place. While there New Balance and Rue 21, there only other major retailers are Rite Aid and CVS, meaning you have to venture to another neighborhood to purge yourself of your shopaholic tendencies.

Dining: 7

You will not go hungry in South or Central Oakland. Whether you prefer a casual food truck, or a sit down eatery it’s all here. From well known chains like Panera and Five Guys, to independent eateries like Red Oak Cafe and Pamela’s, Oakland will keep your belly full. Plus the great part about it all is that most places are open late, meaning your midnight cravings will be fulfilled.

Overall Rating: 7

North Oakland

https://www.instagram.com/p/82N7zvlMoj/?tagged=craigstreet

Looking for something a bit more on the quiet side? Maybe North Oakland is for you. Located still just a stones throw from campus, the neighborhood has a bit of a calmer feel. Those who lived on upper campus are all too familiar with the quietness and relaxed feel that North Oakland lets off to those who reside there.

For $665 a month  per person you can split a three bedroom two bath complete with a kitchen, living room, and dining room, located on Bigelow Boulevard just a short five minute walk from the Cathedral of Learning.

Safety: 6

Crimes are a little less prevalent here north of campus in comparison to South and Central Oakland. The Pitt Police still have reign over some of the neighborhood, with the help of the city cops they help to make the neighborhood as crime free as possible.

Walkability/Transportation: 8

Being so close to campus is extremely convenient to those who call North-O home. While they do have to walk up hills occasionally to get back home after class, the walks are never longer than 5 to 15 minutes. And if walking isn’t your thing the University shuttles like the 10A, 20A, and 10B all have stops within North Oakland.

Bars/Parties: 5

The neighborhood isn’t as popular party wise as it’s cousin to the south. There are far more older residents and those who work for the University living here. The neighborhood is a lot more residential than most, meaning there isn’t really anywhere for a bar to be here. While there are a few bars on Craig Street and a few frat houses scattered throughout the neighborhood, your best bet for partying is to head closer to campus.

Shopping: 5

Shopping isn’t as big in North Oakland as it is in other areas of the city, the restaurant scene is far bigger than the shopping scene here. CVS and other small neighborhood markets fulfill the needs of residents living here.

Dining: 7

Craig Street offers many options for your dining needs, so again, you probably won’t go hungry while in North-O. From the Union grill to Tamarind, Little Nippers Pizza and the more upscale Legume,  there is something for every picky eater here.

Overall Rating: 6

Shadyside 

Saturday mornings in Shayside. ❤️ #shadyside #pittsburgh #walnutstreet

A photo posted by nittanybrittany1 (@nittanybrittany1) on May 7, 2016 at 8:48am PDT

Looking for a bit of an upscale scene? Look no further than Shadyside. If you are not sure what type of neighborhood you want, quiet or bustling, family or students, Shadyside could definitely be the place for you since it offers a little bit of everything.

Shadyside is centrally located, close to Oakland, Bloomfield, Squirrel Hill, and East Liberty.

If you’re willing to splurge a little on your budget, for $1400 a month you can get a two bedroom one bathroom apartment just steps from Walnut Street.

Rent may be bit higher than other neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, but living in Shadyside gives you an awesome location within walking distance to anything you could possibly need, all of which is still just a short distance from campus.

Safety: 9

Shadyside is a more established and upscale neighborhood, because of this it is on the safer side. The neighborhood is  home to many successful professionals and families, who add to the safe atmosphere here.

Walkability/Transportation: 8

Everything is within walking distance in Shaydside. Plus it offers easy transportation via Port Authority to campus via the 71C and 71D.

Bars/Parties: 8

The bar scene is extremely prevalent in Shadyside, plus most restaurants after a certain time only allow those above 21 to enter as they transition to a night-life atmosphere.

Shopping: 10

Shadyside is a shopper’s wonderland. Walnut Street has  the convenience of national retail stores such as The Gap and Apple which are located adjacent to unique locally owned shops. Also in the neighborhood: Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, a premium wine and liquor distributor, and many coffee shops are all within walking distance. Shopping is a part of life in Shadyside, your wallet better prepare if you decide to call this neighborhood home.

Dining: 10

Every type of food and cuisine is accounted for as seen in the plethora of restaurants and trendy eateries in Shadyside. From upscale to casual, on Ellsworth alone you’ll find all kinds of good bars and restaurants.  Nearby Walnut Street also offers many fine establishments to fill your foodie needs.

Overall Rating: 9

South Side

If partying and hitting the bars are your thing Southside is the neighborhood for you. Home to a more older crowd, it offers an escape from the land of frat parties and mixers in South-O.

Many grad students easily find affordable apartments or nice row houses to share. From the “flats” to the “slopes”, renting offers price options for the struggling student to the young professionals.

In South Side, Two- and three-story Victorian buildings now have unique stores, coffee shops, some of the city’s finest restaurants and bars, bars, bars. There is so much to do and see in this neighborhood, I guarantee you will never be bored.

For $575 a person a month you can get a three bedroom row house that has been completely renovated,  just steps from all the happening spots in South Side.

Safety: 7

Like any other neighborhood in the city, safety can be a concern. With the party scene being so prevalent here, crime occurs on an occasional basis, but rest assured the Pittsburgh City Police are always nearby to protect and serve.

Walkability/Transportation: 6

The 54C bus line connects directly to Oakland. The major drawback about this neighborhood is it’s distance from campus. Being situated across the Monongahela River from Oakland makes travel to campus more difficult. But in terms of walkability within the neighborhood, you can walk to many of the bars, restaurants, and shops.

Bars/Parties: 10

Bars. Bars. Bars. Did I mention bars? South Side is home to so many choices of your weekend drinking and partying needs. A lot of people say the South Side is where Pittsburgh goes to play, they aren’t wrong because on any given weekend, you will have more than enough places to choose from.

Shopping: 7

Southside Works is located in this neighborhood. The open air retail and dining area is situated right along the river and offers many different options from Urban Outfitters, to H&M, and even American Eagle for your shopping needs.

Dining: 10

Southside Works also offers many great dining options within the neighborhood. The Cheesecake Factory, Hofbräuhaus, and much more offer to keep you full every night of the week. South Side also offers more upscale options Mallorca and Dish Osteria which are arguably some of the best restaurants in the city.

Overall Rating: 8

Squirrel Hill

Hanging around Murray. #squirrelhill #pittsburgh #wanderer #localrover #localpittsburgh

A photo posted by LOCAL Pittsburgh (@localpittsburgh) on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:18am PDT

Located closer to Carnegie Mellon, Squirrel Hill is a great option for affordable housing if you don’t mind having to drive or take the Port Authority to campus. Popular among many families, the neighborhood also offers many different options for dining and shopping along Murray Avenue.

If you ask a Squirrel Hill resident, they will reply that their neighborhood is the best in the city. Perhaps biased, but they do have a lot to brag about. It’s safe, commuter friendly and offers many activities to keep residents busy. The city’s largest park, Schenely is located in Squirrel Hill and offers enough green space to keep you occupied for hours.

For $450 a month per person, you can get a 5 bedroom house with a large backyard and plenty of off street parking.

Safety: 9

The neighborhood is family oriented, meaning crime is minimal in comparison to other neighborhoods in the city.

Walkability/Transportation: 6

Squirrel Hill is a bit of a hike to campus, but luckily for you the Port Authority bus system is there. The 61C, 61D, 61F, 59U routes all offer quick and easy transportation from Squirrel Hill to Oakland and other areas of the city. Plus,  Port Authority is free thanks to your student ID. Meanwhile however, everything you need within the neighborhood is right there, meaning walking is totally feasible.

Bars/Parties: 5

Because the neighborhood is older and more family oriented, parties and the bar scene aren’t as great. If you’re looking for something fun on a weekend to do, you may have to venture to another neighborhood.

Shopping: 7

Shadyside has Walnut Street, but Squirrel Hill  has Murray Avenue. Here you can get groceries, a good book, a haircut, a beer, and so much more. While the shopping might not be as upscale as Shadyside, it still fulfills all of your needs.

Dining: 8

Squirrel Hill has by far one of the eclectic food scenes in the city. If you have a craving for a certain cuisine, you can probably find it here. Greek? Check out The Greek Gourmet. In the mood for Vietnamese? Maybe venture over to Tan Iac Vien Vietnamese Bistro. Have an absurd love for Waffles? Waffelonia is located in Squirrel Hill as well. Whatever the food need, it can be found in Squirrel Hill.

Overall Rating: 7

There you have it – a breakdown of some of the most popular student neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. No matter what neighborhood you decide to venture off to, you’ll feel right at home there.

University of Pittsburgh