My first day in the working world after Pitt

Don’t panic if it’s time for you to use that diploma

As of April 30th, I am officially a college graduate of Pitt! Something that was equally as exciting was that I had a job waiting for me to begin just days after graduation. Four days after to be exact.

I was so grateful for the opportunity to jump into a career field that interested me and allowed me to stay in Pittsburgh where I was born and raised. I was so proud to tell every one of my successes and felt that my hard work truly did pay off. All of these changes can be a tad bit overwhelming, but don’t fret because I have some tips for some of my fellow graduates and graduates-to-be.

Tip #1: You have to dress professionally

No, you can’t wear leggings and crewneck sweatshirts to work. It was so convenient waking up 20 minutes before class and throwing on our laziest clothes and out the door we went. When you become part of the working world, expect to invest in some nicer clothes that you can wear to work. If you’re on a budget, it would be beneficial for you to buy some neutral pieces that could be used in more than one season. It seems like a no brainer, but a professional appearance is very important.

Officially a graduate

Tip #2: Try not to be too nervous

On my first day I was nervous about nearly everything and was thinking all the way from big things to small things, like what color pen is best to use and where would I eat my lunch? Don’t sweat the extra stuff and try to be cool, calm, and collected. Everyone knows that you’re a new hire and that you don’t know all the ins and outs of the company. It’s important to start learning the different tasks of your role, but don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Once you meet someone new, they most likely know that you are new and will be happy to answer any questions you may have or point you in the right direction.

Tip #3: It’s OK to be excited

I was very excited and proud that I graduated college in three years and managed to have a job lined up post-graduation day. When I was introducing myself to everyone, they all asked where I graduated from and when. At first, I was a little shy in saying I graduated four days ago and then I realized I should be so proud. Graduating from college is a wonderful accomplishment, as is getting a job! When you introduce yourself, make sure that you realize how great your accomplishments are and be excited to see what the future holds for you!

Pictures with some of the best girls I met in college

My first day post-Pitt in the working world was amazing and it only made me more excited for my career to continue. Getting up and going to work every day is quite the change from going to classes and hanging out with your friends whenever you want, but it is a wonderful change.

It is a change that we worked for throughout our collegiate academic careers. To those of you who are starting new jobs, I congratulate you and I promise the first day nerves will go away. To those of you who are searching, I wish you nothing but success in your search.

University of Pittsburgh