Keep calm and align your chakras

The best way to relieve your stress after you’ve tried everything else

buddha

So… you’re stressed, whether it be from a long finals week or worrying about your summer plans, we all get stressed and we all get overwhelmed.  We’ve tried all the common remedies to relieve this stress: binge eating (and it’s definitely not always the healthiest snacks either, am I right?), bubble baths, yoga, retail therapy, and my favorite go-to, hiding from the problems that are causing me stress (unfortunately this usually leads to more stress, ugh.)

You may call me crazy, but what if I said there is such a simpler way to manage and relieve this stress by targeting the area it is coming from in your body directly? That’s right, I am talking about realigning your chakras.

I was in the 10th grade when I got diagnosed with anxiety, and naturally as I got older and my problems and worries got more serious, so did my anxiety. I HATE taking medicine so that was out of the question for me so I found a more natural and free way to calm my mind – meditation.

Meditation takes many forms and it does not just have to be sitting in the commonly known position (Vairochana position) but can be simply laying down while thinking of absolute nothingness to walking along grass barefooted and thinking of positive thoughts. For mediation to be successful, you must first make sure your seven chakras are aligned.

Chakras?? Promise, I am not crazy and please try to have an open mind about this. Chakras are seven different energy sources located “in” the human body that each correspond to the massive nerve centers in the body, meaning if one’s energy is “blocked”, it can contribute to depression and illnesses. Have no fear, if a chakra’s energy is blocked, there are different exercises you can do and foods you can incorporate into your diet to help heal that chakra!

Here is a basic guide to understanding your chakras.

Root Chakra

This chakra helps with the feeling of being grounded and secure in your relationships.

Location: base of tailbone/spine

Associated color: red

To heal: Walk barefoot on the ground (sand is my favorite!), eat red colored foods (apples/ beets), use hot spices (cayenne peppers / hot sauce), eat vegetables from the ground (potatoes / carrots), animal proteins (red meat / eggs), perform the Bridge yoga pose

Sacral Chakra

The sacral chakra controls your connection and ability to accept others and new experiences.  Also this is where your sexuality and creativity energies are stored.

Location: lower abdomen

Associated color: orange

To heal: Perform pelvic thrusts (this is the most awkward action to perform), eat orange colored foods (like oranges, duh!), eat nuts (the kind sold in stores), perform the Cobra yoga pose

Solar-Plexus Chakra

This chakra is in charge of your ability to feel confident and in control of our lives (I think I have to heal this one at least four times a week).

Location: upper abdomen (stomach)

Associated color: yellow

To heal: DANCE!!! – even if you’re bad at it, eat yellow foods (corn), get lots of grain and fiber, drink tea – my favorites are peppermint and chamomile, perform the Boat yoga pose

Heart Chakra

Unsurprisingly, this chakra helps with your ability to love.

Location: center of chest (above the heart)

Associated color: green

To heal: eat lots of green and leafy vegetables, drink lots of green tea

Throat Chakra

This chakra helps with your bility to communicate.

Location: throat

Associated color: blue

To heal: SING!!! – even if you can’t (like me) just pretend and sing your heart out – I recommend the shower or car, drink lots of juices and teas, eat lots of fruit, perform the Shoulder Stand yoga pose

Third-Eye Chakra

This helps with your ability to focus and see the bigger picture – yes, we do have a third eye, but thats a different story.

Location: forehead (between brows)

Associated color: indigo

To heal: perform different eye exercises, eat purple fruits (grapes / blueberries), eat chocolate!!!! – even if you don’t need healing in this chakra, eat chocolate anyways, drink/use lavender flavored spices and tea, perform the Child’s pose – if you do yoga, you know this is the best one

Crown Chakra

This chakra helps with your ability to be fully connected.

Location: top of the head

Associated color: violet

To heal: go out in the sunshine and breath in fresh and clean air, go for a run – ew, but it helps, MEDITATE!!!

So, I know it sounds crazy to suggest trying these different exercises, and like most, I doubted the magic in the healing powers that the seven chakras possess but it is definitely a remedy that works for me and what is the harm in trying something new when nothing else seems to help? Any time you feel stressed, pin-point what chakra you feel it is coming from and heal, heal, heal! Feeling like you don’t know how to pin-point the location? Check out my examples:

Feel like you can’t emotionally connect? Heart chakra.

Feeling out of control of your life? Solar-plexus chakra.

Its simple! Thanks for learning!

University of Pittsburgh