What to do instead of getting a job after graduation

Class of 2016 – you did it! But now you need a job

Class of 2016! Are you avoiding the job application process or just work in general? Do you want to do something other than that?

Well, here are some things to do instead of getting a job after graduation.

Graduate school

The obvious choice is you could go to graduate school. I know, it seems like a lot of work for an education that you should have gotten in undergrad, but it’s totally worth it. Not only does graduate school give you some time to narrow down your career niche with a graduate specialization and make more money but also, if you’re lucky enough, you could apply for an apprenticeship and have your education paid for.

Disney

Or any other internship… One thing to do after college is go work at Disney World or Disney Land. Unlike some internships, the Disney College Program gives its intern applicants several options for their time at the park. From being a cast member in the Magic Kingdom or a lifeguard at Blizzard Beach, your career options are endless.

Not only do you get an internship where you choose your career, but being a part of the Disney College Program gives you discounts to the parks, passes to bring friends and families to the parks, pay for your work, a standout reference, and more!

Study abroad

If you have a little extra money, you could also study abroad for a semester and pick up a certification. Although it might not be practical, going abroad can open your horizons to new friends and opportunities you may never have at home. In addition, study abroad is an excellent resume booster!

Volunteering or Missionary work

Lastly, maybe you have an interest in helping others or volunteering. With the use of the internet, you can find many missionary and volunteering trips that are flexible. One in specific is World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF). This volunteering program allows volunteers to stay as little as one week to six months at a chosen farm depending on what the volunteer and host family desire. While at the farm, volunteers work on the farm doing things like feeding and wine making. So, instead of getting a job, you could work on a farm in Australia and learn new skills.

Class of 2016! Congratulations on graduating! You’ve spent the last four-ish years earning a degree and now it’s time for your next journey.

Although you could get a job, instead, why not go back to school or spend some time learning away from academia?

University of Pittsburgh