We spoke to the students hosting the 4/20 bake sale

Pitt on 4/20 is never disappointing

April 20th is always an interesting day here at the University of Pittsburgh. From students taking finals after a wake and bake to the pungent smell of Schenley park after sunset, the celebrations of students are unavoidable, for better or worse. This year I ran into a far less subtle festivity.

Yesterday, in celebration of good ol’ 4/20 a new student group called “Students for Sensible Drug Policy” was having a brownie sale in front of Hillman library. Though their purpose initially seemed obvious, it turns out their main goal is to raise awareness and get the conversation going about the Federal and state policies against drugs.

Maria Cabonara, a representative from the organization told me that the group is not particularly advocating for legalization necessarily, however they want many of the anti-marijuana laws in place to be thrown away.

Many were sad to discover that the brownies were, in fact, not of the “special” variety, but they were willing to pitch in for the cause.

Neil Fadia, Kristen Wong, and Maria Carbonara manning the stand, and spreading the word

If you are interested you can check out the website www.ssdp.org. The Pitt group is very knowledgeable, and definitely worth joining if you support the cause!

For those of you who were celebrating yesterday, remember you can’t claim medical use quite yet, but at least it has been decriminalized. Hope every had a happy and healthy 4/20.

University of Pittsburgh