Chelsea Clinton was in Pittsburgh on Wednesday

But she was completely overshadowed by Donald Trump

20160413dsChelseaClintonLocal01

Chelsea Clinton showing support for her mother in Pittsburgh’s East Liberty neighborhood.

Pittsburgh became a political hotspot on Wednesday with not only a visit from Republican front runner Donald Trump, but also a visit from the daughter of Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.

Chelsea Clinton held an event at her mother’s Pittsburgh campaign headquarters in East Liberty, while Trump held two events, one at Solider’s and Sailors and the other at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. Ms. Clinton’s visit drew only about 100 people, while Mr. Trump’s main event at the Convention Center drew nearly 4500.

The crowd at Wednesday’s Clinton event.

Both events had their share of protestors – well, sort of. Clinton was interrupted by one mere protestor shouting “She’s killing us!” who was in turn removed. Meanwhile Trump’s visit spurred a massive protest, one of the largest to date at one of his rallies, which resulted in three arrests by Pittsburgh police.

I attended the Clinton event and honestly, I was slightly shocked at how small the turn out was. Did everyone forget about this event? Did Donald steal the show?  While it wasn’t Hillary herself who was visiting, I did expect a far larger crowd than what was there. I asked one supporter if they thought it had anything to do with Trump’s visit being on the same day.

“Oh yeah I think maybe some of the supporters, they wanted to avoid the city at all costs ‘cuz of the crazy Trump traffic and supporters. I know my neighbor called into work today because of it, just didn’t want to go into the city you know,” said Clinton supporter Jennifer Wilson of Wexford, PA.

Another supporter chimed in as well after Ms. Wilson’s response: “You know, maybe this city just shouldn’t have both campaigns here at the same time. It’s not big enough. It really lets one shine and the other fade.”

While she may have been out-shined by the Donald, Ms. Clinton had a heartfelt message to give to Pittsburgher’s who attended the event: “While I couldn’t imagine a better grandmother for my children than my mom, I couldn’t imagine a better president for everybody’s children than my mom.”

Nothing more heartfelt than a daughter’s love for her mother. Smart move, Hill – although next time, at least according to your supporters, you probably shouldn’t schedule a campaign event on the same day as your competitor.

University of Pittsburgh