A proposal to tear up the section of Bigelow between Forbes and Fifth

Oakland needs some more green space

Bigelow Boulevard between Forbes and Fifth should be transformed. The street should be jackhammered, ripped up, the bus stops removed. Once the pavement is cleared away and repurposed to some good use, landscapers can sod the bare ground and adequately water until it takes root.

What Pitt has then created is a large green space between the Cathedral and the William Pitt Union.

What about the traffic? some may ask. To hell with the traffic, they can drive a little further. This proposal is to better the standard of living for students. Some specific reasons why this would be better include…

• This section of Bigelow is already often shut down for events. Turning it into a green space eliminates the need to barricade traffic’s access from Fifth and Forbes.
  • This section of Bigelow is probably the most congested as far as student walking is concerned, as it is the only street between the Cathedral and Towers. Masses of students are constantly stuck at this crosswalk as they head for class.
  • Safety for students walking will be all around improved. Tearing up this section of Bigelow will mean asshole drivers can no longer potentially hit a crossing student who is, say, running late to class from Towers.
  • Tearing up this part of Bigelow creates a more cohesive campus setting, sectioned off by less city streets. The green space between the William Pitt Union and the Cathedral will become an epicenter of student lounging, reading, socializing, sunbathing, Frisbee tossing, or lawn dart matches (maybe not the last one).
  • Students like green space. I’ve never talked to a student who would rather see more pavement than grass.
  • Yes, Schenley Plaza is great. It used to be a parking lot not too long ago. Now look at it, a beautiful green space. Though this space is, it should be said, limited in size, and as the student body of Pitt only grows larger and larger with each passing year, we’ll need more green space.

Consider this proposal. Will it be a pain in the ass to achieve? You betcha. Will it all be worth it? I like to think so.

University of Pittsburgh green oakland park pitt pittsburgh proposal students