Same sex couples can no longer be denied adoption rights

Gay adoption is now legal in all 50 states

A federal judge ruled Thursday that Mississippi’s ban on same-sex couples adopting children is unconstitutional, making gay adoption legal in all 50 states, according to the Huffington Post.

This is long overdue, but I could not be more pleased that it is finally happening. As an adopted child myself, I truly believe that it is only fair that each child get the opportunity to live a better life than what may naturally be offered to them. I, for one, would not have had anywhere close the the same opportunities that I have and do have had I not been adopted into such a loving and able family. Because of adoption, I am able to go to college, study abroad, go on vacations, and experience the world. Many children would not have the chance to do any of those things and have a better life that was offered to them at birth if they were not adopted, and it shouldn’t matter who is able to give them that gift.

But opportunity is only one issue. It seems to be the idea of many Americans that children are not raised right if they are raised by only one sex. I do not see that as fair or logical. In fact, one of my absolutely BEST friends growing up, Harper, was raised by her two mothers, whom she and her younger brother live with, and their father still in the picture. Both are beautiful, kind, strong women, and they raised some brilliant kids. Harper and I have been through so much together, and I could not imagine her being any other way. She is respectful, loyal, hilarious and strong, just like her two mothers. She has been there for me when no one else could be and is even a lot more understanding because of the fact that she grew up in a house that does not discriminate.

It is not anyone’s right to infringe on another person’s happiness, whether it be who they spend their life with or their ability to have children. Whether a child is raised by a man and a woman, two women or two men, they will still be loved and cared for and will still have the chance to experience the world the same way everyone else does. This ruling will forever change the way the world views same-sex couples and will now allow them to live the normal life they deserve. It has been a great few years for the United States and this new law is another great addition to the pile.

University of Pittsburgh