Vice President Biden is coming to Pitt

VP Biden will be making Pitt his first stop on his ‘It’s On Us’ campaign tour which addresses sexual assault on college campuses

You heard right: Vice President Joe Biden will be coming to the University of Pittsburgh as his first stop on the “It’s On Us” campaign tour – a campaign launched two years ago which asks men and women across the United States to pledge to “step off the sidelines and be part of the solution to campus sexual assault,” according to The White House.

Mr. Biden has dedicated his legacy to working to prevent sexual assault and the abuse of women. He has authored the Violence Against Women Act of 1994 which established new federal crimes of interstate domestic violence and stalking, doubled the penalties for repeat sex offenders, and sparked the passage of laws at the state level to protect victims. Since the passage of the Act, domestic violence rates have decreased by over 50 percent.

This issue is extremely important, and after the Milo Yiannopoulos episode, its nice to see our campus acknowledging issues and talking about them openly because, contrary to Milo’s belief, they do exist.

In fact, Pitt was one of 27 colleges that participated in a national survey in 2015 that found that one in five female students reported experiencing some form of unwanted sexual contact, 21 percent saying that they were forced or unable to consent due to issues including intoxication.

We are thrilled to have Mr. Biden, a voice of reason and reality, join us at Pitt.

Joe Biden announcing Lady Gaga’s song about sexual assault.

If you would like to learn more about this important movement, click here.

UPDATE: VP Joe Biden will be speaking at the Petersen Events Center on Tuesday from 12-1:30pm. You can reserve your tickets at pittitsonusstudent.eventbrite.com tomorrow (Thursday) between 6am and 4pm. Tickets will be distributed Friday (April 1) between 7:30am and 4pm at the William Pitt Union.

University of Pittsburgh biden its on us joe biden pitt pittsburgh sexual assault vice president