We asked Pitt students how much sleep they get

The following majors are not for the weak

I am a communications major, and I feel as though I am a genuinely well-rested person with about eight hours of sleep per night. However, I, like everyone in college, have my bad weeks.

I am close friends with a computer science major with whom I’ve spent a great deal of time in the library and I swear he barely sleeps. He seems to be awake from 8am until, well, 3am the next day.

I got to thinking and wondered which majors, specifically at Pitt, get the least amount of sleep per night/week. Here is what I found.

Jennifer, Sophomore, Nursing

“I think I sleep four to five hours a night Monday – Friday. Clinical for sophomores is two days a week from 7am-2pm.  Then it’s just a lot of work on the other days.”

Caroline, Sophomore, Mechanical Engineering

“Five hours per night is like a PHENOMENAL week. Last week I had one of my debatably worst weeks sleep wise ever and got 14 hours Sunday – Thursday night total.”

Mo, Sophomore, Architectural Studies

“I get three to four hours of sleep during the week, but it’s worth it.”

Wyatt, Sophomore, Computer Science and Math

“I’ve been sleeping more this year because I switched, but when I was a physics and math major I’d say I slept like five to seven hours a night. Now I sleep more like seven to eight, so I’d say physics has the hardest schedule.

“CS and math is hard but much less work intensive! But I typically pull two or three all nighters a month, I’d say.”

Emily, Senior, Mechanical Engineering

“I get five to six hours, sometimes less. The mechanical engineering program is very project-intensive. Most of the work is done outside the classroom designing things, running hours of simulation, doing math, and writing code. That plus running the FSAE team, which is completely extracurricular, cuts into my sleep schedule. The team operates ‘after hours’ because of our access benefits to the student machine shop, plus many deadlines to hit for the competition are at midnight or early morning. For example, we had to be up at 5am to register for Formula Student Germany last year. So it adds up quickly and you need to be awake as much as possible.”

Teressa, Sophomore, Bioengineering

“Average three to four hours a night unless I’m taking a few days to reset my sleep cycle, at which point I actively try to get at least seven for a few consecutive nights.”

University of Pittsburgh college pitt pittsburgh sleep student students