Philly is easily the best hometown in PA and probably the world

Forget what you heard, Philadelphia is more than just cheesesteaks

As a true native of Philly (West Philadelphia born and raised), I can offer the best guide to anyone pondering whether they should visit Philly. Here are five reasons why Philly is the best and most underrated city. I searched previous articles about this topic on the interweb to get my creative juices flowing, and what I saw, I was not impressed with, at all. I’m going to offer the most non-tourist explanation on why Philly is the best hometown.

Food

Depends on who you’re talking to, but since it’s me, food is most important and should go first on this list. I never knew how fortunate I was to live in a city that offers so many diverse and delicious food options from vegan Chinese in Chinatown to fish tacos + mango margaritas in Center City. In DJ Khaled’s words, I got the key: I know where to get the best cheesesteaks for your money, and it isn’t at the “legendary” Pat’s or Geno’s in South Philly. Personally, I like to get my cheesesteaks from Greek Lady in University City. They’re cheaper, authentically made and taste delicious every time. I know, why get a cheesesteak from a Greek food place? Well, listen. If you want to go get that fake shit from Pat’s or Geno’s, go ahead but I warned you.

Forget what you heard, Philadelphia is more than just cheesesteaks. We also have great breakfast/brunch options. Two personal favorites of mine are Tony Boys on 706 E. Baltimore Ave in Lansdowne, and Green Eggs Cafe on South 13th Street. Tony Boys are most known for their bomb and massive breakfast sandwiches – I usually get a sausage, egg and cheese on a kaiser roll. And, Green Eggs Cafe is the only reason I will travel downtown on a Saturday morning and wait an hour or more in line for breakfast. Beware: Both establishments only accept cash. 

Also worth mentioning along with food, we have the Reading Terminal Market, located on North 12th Street which houses an indoor farmer’s market that offers fresh produce, baked goods, chocolate, ice cream, hot food and more. I love wondering around in this market during the summertime – it’s like an indoor festival, just for food lovers of all kinds.

Outside shot of Reading Terminal Market in Center City Philadelphia.

In the spring and summer, you can also get some of the best water ice of your life from Fred’s Water Ice located in Southwest Philly on 54th and Chester Ave. At Fred’s, they offer $1 water ices and fried oreos – you can’t beat it.

Spruce Street Harbor Park

I recently just fell in love with Spruce Street Harbor Park last summer. My girlfriend and I spent most of our nights there – it’s something you just can’t help but to return to every time you’re in the vicinity.  The park is located on 301 South Christopher Columbus Blvd. It’s only open in the spring and summer, and it can be described as a popular summer staple with games, events & food features gardens, an urban beach & hammocks. The park is free to enter, but you’ll have to pay for alcohol and the surrounding food trucks. I suggest you eat/get drunk before you come to the park and just chill your night away swinging in the hammock with your significant other or dog. A short walk down from this park is an outdoor skating rink.

Shopping

You can go broke in Philly with all the shopping malls and centers we offer, and everything is so easily accessible by car or public transportation. I started off shopping at 69th Street because it was a 15-20 minute walk from my house. Since middle school, 69th Street has been on the come up and offers new shops such as H&M, Ross and a newly renovated Foot Locker. If you rather stay in the center of everything, Center City offers a lot of shopping options. Downtown Philly’s streets are lined with shops starting around 17th and going to 5th. In between, we have Walnut Street, which houses some of the high-end brands such as Barnes & Nobles, Lucky Brand, Steve Madden and Zara to name a few. Liberty Place on 16th and Chestnut offers a host of stores such as Victoria’s Secret and Express, and a food court. All of this is just downtown. If you want more options, you can travel out of the city to King of Prussia Mall in King of Prussia, PA. You can catch a bus downtown to the mall that’ll take an hour, or you can get the bus leaving 69th Street Station, which will only take 30 minutes. King of Prussia Mall (or KOP) is the second largest mall in the United States.

Made in America

While I have never had the opportunity to go to the annual summer concert, Made in America, I thought it’s worth mentioning seeing as though it’s a major event that takes place in Philly. The festival is usually two days long, and the tickets are ridiculous, but the line-ups are always impressive. This year’s concert is on September 3-4, 2016. There should be more details about ticket pricing and the line-up later closer to August.

Gayborhood

Last but certainly not least: Philly is home to the most fabulous and unapologetic gay community! Philly’s “Gayborhood” is located near Washington Square, from Chestnut to Pine Streets between 11th and Broad Street. Gay and lesbian life and nightlife are centered around that area because of the large concentration of GL-friendly businesses, restaurants and bars. Just recently, rainbows were painted onto the crosswalks in Gayborhood. Philly is definitely gay and proud.

A picture of the start of Gayborhood in Philadelphia shot by By Bruce Andersen

So if you’re looking to visit Philly this spring or summer, I hope this mini-guide helped make your decision easier.

Penn State